Chapter Five - The Accident

Dakota's Point of View

The moment I got home, I rushed up stairs and opened my laptop. Going into google I typed in the name Alex had given me. Malcom Brown. The first article I clicked on answered none of my questions as to why he had anything to do with me not wanting to know Alex.

'A Cowards Death: Malcom Brown's Suicide

Authorities have released both the name and the circumstances of the man who died in prison last week. It was revealed at a press conference this morning that prisoner Malcom Brown had committed suicide by strangling himself with his bath towel. His body has been returned to his family.

Brown's death comes just three years into his fifteen-year sentence. A coward in life, his death was no exception. Clearly, he couldn't face what he was done, too cowardly to take the punishment he so rightly deserved.

For those who don't recognise the name, the link bellow will take you to an article I wrote three years ago, at the time of his conviction.'

I clicked on the link. It was as I read this second article that realisation dawned on me and my blood started to run cold.

'Fifteen-year Conviction Brings Little Closure to Grieving Family

Thirteen months ago, on the 6th of April 2003 just before 10pm, an event occurred which changed the lives of two families forever. This tragic and horrific crash shook the entire community.

A black utility, driving without headlights on, lost control and ploughed into a grey BMW. Two died at the scene and another two have been left permanently disabled.

The driver of this car, Malcom Brown, 37, was highly influenced by drugs and alcohol at the time. As was his partner, Phoebe, 23, who died at the scene. It is assumed that because of how intoxicated she was, she wouldn't have felt a thing, let alone have been aware of what was going on.

The same can't be said about those in the other car.

Ebony Springson, 32, was driving home from a night out with her two young daughters. Caroline Springson, 6, and her sister Dakota Springson, 3, were seated in the back of their mother's car. They were both awake, despite the late hour.

"I'd taken them to Disney on ice." Mrs Springson explained. "They were both to excited to fall asleep in the car."

It was as this mother-daughter trio were on their way home that tragedy struck.

Mrs Springson recounted the events to the court as best she could.

"It's all quite fuzzy." She said. "But I was driving along, the girls chatting quietly behind me. A few cars drove by from the other direction, but there was no one behind or in front of us. I didn't see the car until it was only a few metres in front of us. It was dark, the car was black and driving without headlights. The next thing I knew, I was waking up in hospital."

It's hard to fathom what it must've been like for Andrew Springson. He was at home, having just put his seven-year-old son, Francis, to bed when there was a knock on the door. He assumed it was his wife, having just got home and carrying a sleeping child, unable to unlock the door herself. But when he opened the door, it was the police on his doorstep, giving him the news no one wants to hear.

Caroline Springson, died at the scene. There was nothing paramedics could do to save her. Dakota Springson's right leg was so crushed it had to be amputated. Ebony Springson was left paralysed from the waist down.

Today, after a lengthy court process, Malcom Brown was charged and sentenced to fifteen years in prison. While justice is finally being served, the question arises: is fifteen years really enough?'