Chapter Six - Advice

Dakota's Point of View

"Come here, baby." Mummy patted her lap.

I walked up to her and curled up on her lap.

"Now tell me what's got you so confused." She stroked my hair.

"Remember how I went to the park last week." She nodded. "Well, there was this girl there. She sat under the tree the whole time, didn't say a word. She just watched me. I think I wanted to get to know her the moment I laid eyes on her. I don't know why. Something about her just intrigued me. Every afternoon I sat there hoping to see her again, but she wasn't there. Then, I went to the cemetery yesterday, and she was there. I didn't notice her until I went to leave. She didn't say much, just that her name was Alex and no one ever went down that way. And she asked me who I was visiting. She must've read the name on the grave, after I told her it was my sister. This afternoon I went back to the park and saw her walking past. I got out and went up to her. She was quite cold today. Told me I didn't want to know her. When I asked why, she told me her father is Malcom Brown." Mummy stiffened. "That meant nothing to me so I googled him when I got home."

"And what did you find?" Mummy asked.

"He's the one who caused our accident." I said. "Him and his wife were drunk. She died along with Caroline. And he was sentenced to fifteen years but killed himself after three."

Mummy nodded.

"I had heard about that." She said. "Good riddens I say. An eye for an eye. A life for a life."

"And now I don't know what to do?"

"What do you mean?" Mummy asked.

"Well there was just something about this girl." I said. "I wanted to get to know her. But now..."

"Now what? Why should this change anything?"

"Her father killed Caroline."

"Exactly." Mummy said. "Her father. Not her. She was affected by it too."

"She seemed awful determined that we couldn't be friends because of it."

"I think she told you because she thought you wouldn't want anything to do with her once you found out. And she didn't want to get hurt by getting attached then losing you."

"So, what should I do?"

"Tell her you don't blame her for what her father did."

"But what if I do?"

"Do you?"

I thought about it for a moment.

"No."

"Well, that's all that matters."

!@#$%^&*

Alex's Point of View

I woke up naked in Tylor's bed. This wasn't the first time it had happened and I doubted it'd be the last. He was still asleep beside me, his arm thrown over my waist. I carefully moved his arm, trying not to wake him, and climbed out of bed. I dressed quickly and left the bedroom.

I didn't leave his house though. I made my way into his kitchen in search of something for breakfast. Pancakes sounded good. I took the necessary ingredients the fridge and pantry and got to work making them.

As I was cooking the first lot, Tylor came out, wearing a pair of boxers.

"I thought something smelt good." He said as he sat down at the bench. "You always make the best food."

That wasn't true. Rosie made the best food, I'd just picked up a few things from helping her in the kitchen over the years.

I piled the pancakes onto a plate, took the maple syrup from the pantry and a knife and fork from the draw and place them in front of Tylor.

"Eat up." I said and returned to the pan to cook the next lot.

"Thanks, babe." He said.

I had finished piling my pancakes onto a plate and sat down across from him when he asked the question I had been dreading.

"When you came over last night, you said you wanted to forget." He said. "What did you want to forget?"

I froze.

"It's okay." He said. "You know you can tell me anything. What's going on?"

And so, I told him everything.

I told him about the day at the park, when the three rich, private school girls showed up with the Frisbee. About how the pretty blonde one looked like she was done with life, and how the fact that someone who clearly had everything still wasn't happy intrigued me. About how I stayed sitting there, watching them. And as they played, I saw the blonde's cares wash away.

I told him about how a week later, I ran into her again at the cemetery. About how she'd tidied one of the graves in the section near Mum's, then placed decorated it with purple roses. About how I'd introduced myself, and she'd told me her name. Dakota. A pretty name for a pretty girl – he chuckled at that. About how, when I asked her who she was visiting, she'd told me it was her sister.

I told him about how I let curiosity get the better of me, and looked at the name on her sister's grave. Caroline Springson. About how that was the other person who had died in the crash my father had caused. About how, if Dakota found out, she'd avoid me like the plague.

I told him about how when I saw her again, I told her. About how she had no idea who I was talking about. About how I told her to google him.

I told him that she was going to hate me.

"How do you know that?" He asked when I was finished.

"Know what?"

"That she's going to hate you."

"My dad killed her sister."

"You're not your dad." He said. "She might understand that."

"I doubt that."

"Why?"

"Because rich kids are always looking for reasons to hate on us.

"True. But you said yourself that she seemed different."

"Then what do you suggest I do?" I asked.

"I think you should wait until you see her again." He said. "See what she has to say. If she hates you, then you know she isn't worth it. If not, then you'll get married and have a bunch of babies together."

I chocked on my pancake, making Tylor laugh.

"What?"

"Oh, come on, girl." He said. "It's pretty fucking obvious you like her."