Chapter Nine - The Party

Dakota's Point of View

When I noticed Alex starting to lean in, I felt myself start to do the same. My body was reacting automatically, without me consciously deciding that this is what I wanted. But, who was I kidding, I knew I wanted to.

I felt the excitement building up in my tummy. It was like I'd waited my whole life for this moment and it was finally going to happen.

But then, Francis threw the door open and ruined everything.

I jumped back in surprise at the intrusion, and instantly saw sadness fill Alex's eyes. She must've thought I didn't want to kiss her. But I did. I so did.

"What do you want?" I snapped as I stood up from my spot on the bed.

"Not to see you and your girlfriend about to have sex." He responded.

"That's not..." I struggled to find words. "She's not..."

"Whatever." He cut me off. "I don't care. Here are your cotton buds."

He threw the box at me, obviously hoping to hit me with it. I caught it without even thinking about it.

"Better luck next time, loser." I chuckled.

"Whatever." He turned and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"Now where were we." I turned back around to face Alex. "Oh, yes. Makeup."

When I was finished with her makeup, I went back into my bathroom to grab the things needed to do her hair.

"No peaking." I ordered.

By the time I was finished with her, she looked just like she belonged in the life I was raised in.

"With the dress, you'll look just like a princess." I told her.

"How could that be?" She asked. "When, clearly, you're the princess and I'm nothing but trouble."

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I simply shook my head and went into the bathroom to do my hair and makeup. A moment later, Alex's head appeared beside mine in the mirror.

"You're right though." She said. "I almost look like I deserve you."

!@#$%^&*

Alex's Point of View

Rich people parties turned out to be exactly how I expected them to be. Boring. If it weren't for the pretty blonde who hadn't left my side all night, I probably would've ditched. But, Dakota was always right there, and she made the night bearable.

And, boy, did she look stunning. She'd done her hair and makeup the same way as she'd done mine – natural, except for the darkness around the eyes – which really made both our different shades pop – and curls cascading from a loose bun. She wore a pink, floor length gown. Pink really was this girl's colour, there was no denying it.

Just after guests started to arrive, the two girls who had been at the park that first day arrived.

"Is this really Alex?" The red head asked.

"Who's Alex?" The dark-skinned girl asked before her friend got a response.

"The girl from the park that day." Red head said.

"No way." Said dark-skinned girl. "She doesn't look a thing like her. And besides, why on Earth would Dakota invite her?"

I really didn't like the tone of the dark-skinned girl's voice. But she did have a point. I couldn't even wrap my head around why someone like Dakota would give me so much as the time of day. Yet here I was.