Chapter Eleven - The Barbeque

Dakota's Point of View

Alex spent the remainder of the day at my house. Mrs Wilson had washed her clothes, so she changed into them. I changed into a pair of jeans and a tank top, an outfit Alex said was much more suited to a barbeque than anything else I owned, before we left.

On the drive over, Alex explained that Rosie was her foster carer and every year her and her husband held a barbeque on their wedding anniversary.

"They sound like lovely people." I said.

"They are." Alex agreed. "I don't think I've ever met more selfless people."

I pulled up outside the house I had previously dropped Alex off at. I climbed out and clicked the car locked after Alex closed her door. My car definitely did not belong in a neighbourhood like this one. It looked like it cost just as much as most of the houses, and that made me feel slightly self-conscious.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked, picking up on my discomfort.

"I don't belong here." I said.

"Of course not." She didn't even try to convince me otherwise. "But I didn't belong at your house either. You can go home if you want. But I'd really like you to stay."

"What if they don't like me?"

"Don't like you?" She let out a chuckle. "I don't think there's a soul on this Earth they don't like. They're good people, Dakota. I'm sure they'll love you."

"Really?"

She stepped forwards and pressed her lips against mine. It was only quick, she'd pulled back before I even had time to react. But butterflies erupted in my stomach nonetheless.

"Just maybe don't tell them about that."

She took my hand and led me inside the house and down the hallway. At the end of the hallway, it opened up into the kitchen. A plump, red-haired lady turned around from where she stood at the sink when we entered.

"Alex." She said with a smile. "I almost thought you weren't coming."

"And miss out on your cooking?" Alex asked. "Never."

"How was the party?" The lady asked.

"Kinda boring, actually." I couldn't even feel insulted by that. Even I had to agree that Daddy's parties were boring. More about business than anything else.

"And is this the girl who invited you?" The lady asked. Alex nodded. "How could you say it was boring right in front of her? Have I taught you no manners?"

"Daddy's parties are boring." I said. "There's no point lying about it."

The lady chuckled.

"I'm Rosie, by the way." She said. "Seen apparently Alex isn't going to introduce us."

"Dakota." I held my hand out for her to shake, but instead she used it to pull me in for a hug.

"No need for formalities." She whispered in my ear as she squeezed my tight. "We're all family here. I just hope she's taking care of you."

She pulled back and returned to washing the dishes at the sink.

"Go outside." She said without looking back. "Everyone else is already out there."

Alex grabbed hold of my hand again and led me out the back door. The backyard was filled with people.

"I told you she'd love you." She said as she led me over to the back corner, where a boy perhaps a few years older than us was sitting under a tree.