Chapter 12: Medicine

Carter

"Yeah, it's good to see you too Carter thanks for asking. Mom's doing great knowing nothing about what's happening in her eldest sons life. Yes I did watch the game last Saturday it was pretty good," My Dad teases as he moves to sit across from me.

"I know Dad, I'm sorry I should have been more polite, but my mate is in trouble. I need some advice on what to do about all of this. You were the only person I could think of who might be able to tell me how to handle this situation." I told him honestly, I could never hide my emotions from my Dad. He always saw right through my lies so there was no point in trying.

"I know Mom told me a little bit, but I really would like you to explain to me what is going on. You left on a pack mission and came back with a mate Mom said barely looked like she was alive." Dad glanced over to the bed and looked my mate over. I could see him studying her intently.

"I'm still trying to process the fact that you have a mate. When I heard that you were in the hospital and I didn't know what to think. When you Mom came back from visiting you she couldn't stop crying and I thought something happened to you. Zelay told me you weren't hurt and I was relieved, then I found out it was her and I just..." Dad couldn't stop staring at my mate and I knew he was going to love her like she was his own daughter.

"Car, I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but please tell me what happened. She is going to be your wife someday and I need to know what went down. So if she ever comes to me wanting advice or just someone to talk to I can be there." His concerned eyes turn to me and I know I can't refuse him this. I could never say no to my Dad, and I won't start doing it now.

So I told him everything. I told him about going into the house and finding the room with the post and the blood. I described the room Elinn was in when I found her. He listened intently as I gave him the list of medical issues Luke had given me earlier. He even put an arm on my shoulder as I described the way Elinn flinched and blanched from any touch or movement.

When I had finished recounting my story Dad had tears running down his face. As I looked into his eyes I knew he could see all the pain, hurt, and anger I was feeling and he pulled me into him. He held me in his arms while I collected myself once more. I pulled away from him and slowly lowered myself back into my chair.

"I know you won't look at Elinn until she gives you permission, but will you let me look at her. As both a doctor and as your father, I would really like to see exactly what kind of physical and mental damage we are dealing with. I want to be here to help both of you, but I would really like to see exactly what happened. I might not be able to recognize everything, but I will know at least a few things."

A low growl escaped my throat before I could say anything. My wolf wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having another male looking at our mate naked. I knew my father wasn't trying to get a peek at my mate, he was a mated wolf himself. My wolf still struggled to understand how exactly my family ties worked.

"That's fine, my wolf isn't super pleased with the idea. I trust you though, I know you won't hurt her. Go ahead and when you're done come back and sit down so we can talk." I hoped my Dad would be able to tell me a little bit more about what happened. Luke couldn't tell me much other than she had been abused. I had a feeling my father could tell me a little bit more.

I heard him pull the sheet back and it was immediately followed by a sharp intake of breath. I could hear my Dad cursed silently behind me, that wasn't a good sign. My Dad never swore, I had only ever heard him do it twice and it scared me. Knowing that my mate's body elicited that kind of reaction from him made me anxious.

After what seemed like an eternity he walked back into my field of vision. Tears were continuously running down his cheeks and his eyes were filled with so much despair I had to look away.

"This isn't good Carter, that type of scarring. To get someone to look like she does right now, it would probably kill most people. I can tell you that Elinn has been whipped on numerous occasions and not been allowed to heal properly. I can tell of at least four different kinds of impact weapons and five different knives." My Dad's voice catches in his throat and he has to take several deep breaths before he can continue.

"You aren't going to like what I have to tell you next Carter. I am going to tell you, but if it comes to it I will fight your wolf into submissions and we both know that I can do it. You have to promise to try and remain as calm as possible and not tear me apart for delivering this news." His words scare me and I grow even more nervous. What is so wrong with my mate that he is afraid of my wolfs reaction. So I just nod and wait for him to tell me.

"Car, I looked at the blood work that Luke had done that told you she had wolfsbane in her system. I noticed some other test results that Luke was either scared to tell you about or was too distracted to notice. With the amount of silver and wolfsbane in her system...her wolf in danger of dying. It's a miracle she isn't gone yet really, but it will happen soon. The only way for us to strengthen Elinn's wolf is to give her a specific kind of medicine. We would have to treat her with Lycomium."

No, no, no this wasn't happening. It couldn't really be happening, this couldn't be right. Dad had to be wrong, there had to be another way for Elinn to get better. I would not subject my mate to the horrors of Lycomium.

Lycomium is a drug that brings your wolf to the surface and helps it gain its strength. The downside is that it is the most painful process you will ever experience. It makes you shift into your wolf slowly bit by bit. When a werewolf normally shifts it goes fairly quickly even when it's your first time it doesn't take more than twenty minutes. Lycomium makes it last for six days.

During that time your human side is in complete and utter pain and it's hard to figure out what is real and what your mind has made up. There have been cases where people have gone insane from Lycomium treatments. You feel every fracture and unnatural bend of your bones and you can't make the pain go away.

"NO! I will not let Elinn go through that type of pain. I will not subject her to more pain than she has already felt. She is already afraid of us and that would only frighten her more. There has to be another way!" I exclaim while my wolf prowls around my head trying to come up with a solution. My wolf grows more and more agitated with even the suggestion of causing his little mate pain.

"I can see how upset you are son. I will try and figure out another solution. In the meantime, you need to go let your wolf out. He is doing his best with this situation too, but it is as hard for him as it is for you. Let him out so that he can process his emotions just like you are trying to do. I will stay with Elinn until you get back." I know that my father is right, but I don't want to leave my mate right now. I walk over to her and give her a kiss on the cheek.

"You will be okay, I will help to fix you I swear." I tuck a stray lock of hair behind Elinn's ear and walk toward the door. My father takes the chair I had been occupying next to her bed. With one last glance back at my sleeping mate, I closed the door behind me and head for the woods.

AN: HALF OF A THOUSAND VIEWS! What happened while I was gone? Thank you all so much for continuing to read my story. I know that some of it may seem strange, but it's my baby and I love it. I hope you guys will comment telling me what you think about the story. I really love seeing what you guys are thinking. I want to thank you again for everything you do. I hope you are all still enjoying the book because I know that I am. Until next time, bye bye!