Chapter 66: Ballroom

Elinn

As Carter and I descended the stair I took another moment to assess the room around us. People had stopped their conversations and dancing and had turned to face us. I recognized a couple of the faces as those who had been with my parents when they first arrived. The look in their eyes made me pause for a fraction of a second.

It was then that I realized almost everyone in the room had the same look in their eyes. They all had this look of pure joy and admiration for a girl that they could only remember. For a young girl who was taken and a young woman who was now back where she belonged. The tears in some of their eyes were what caused me to look at Carter with such wonder.

"You underestimate the person that you are and the way you make people feel." Carter's smile told me that this was really happening and this wasn't just a crazy dream.

Once again we started down the stair and this time I noticed our family's standing at the bottom. As we got closer and closer to the crowd of people I noticed people began to stare intently at my arms and some people even pointed it out to those around them. Before I could try and cover my arms Carter took my hands in his own as we finished our descent down the grand staircase.

"They aren't meaning to be rude deary. They have been told a little bit about your past, but it wasn't real until now. You have to remember that they care about you and those marks just tell them that someone is about to get a good beating. They don't stare because they want to point out your flaws, but to point out their own in letting you get taken." Margene assured me from where she stood next to Carter's parents and a couple I hadn't met before.

I hugged Margene I had missed her these past few weeks while she had been gone. Her husband had been out of town and she had gone to visit him, but came back in time to help my mother with the party. Her husband was suppose to get in sometime tonight so she would leave the party when she got his call.

"Hi I don't think we've met yet, my name is Brigham I'm Kent's younger brother and this is my wife Harley. My sons are running around here somewhere, but their still fairly young so it may take a while to find them. You know how ten and twelve year olds are, just can't keep them in one spot." The man introduced extending his hand to shake my own.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Elinn and I'm Carter's mate. You probably already knew that, that's why your here," I rambled on not knowing what to say.

"Well it's very nice to meet you, we were wondering how long it would take Carter to find his mate. You seem like a sweet girl you guys seem like your going to do well together." Harley reassured me as she gave my hand a quick squeeze.

"Do you like everything okay? Does the party look okay? I hope it does I asked Carter what your favorite color was and he told me that you still really liked blue, so I decided I would use it in pretty everything. If you don't like it I'm sure we can change somethings around," Now Mom was babbling and that made me feel a little more at home in all of this craziness.

"It looks lovely Mom, you did a wonderful job. It looks perfect, I couldn't have done a better job myself. I don't even think I could have thought of all the things that I would need to do for something like this." I admit as I admire the hard work she must have put in to get the house to look the way it did.

There were bouquets of blue, silver, and gold flowers scattered throughout the room. There were silver and gold streamers covering the ceiling and brightening up the room. The tables were all set with cobalt colored table cloths and every place was set with elaborate silverware and antique china plates.

"Oh thank heavens, your Mom made us buy back up decorations in case you didn't like it and had a whole plan for everything to be switched out in a moments notice. Honestly it was kind of impressive, but at the same time I did not want to go through that." Margene gasped out and pretended to wipe some fake sweat from her forehead.

We all laughed and my Brothers approached from where they were standing next to my Dad. They pulled me behind them and gave Carter a hard glare, before I could asked what they were doing my Dad started speaking.

"I know my daughter looks really nice tonight, but if I see her tomorrow and I can smell that you two have mated I will kill you. It will be slow and painful and Darius, Xander, and I all know how to properly use a dungeon." My Dad threatened and my mouth fell open in shock.

"Dad you can't be serious! That won't be happening anytime soon and this conversation does not need to happen. Can we all just go dance or something?" I suggested trying to get around my brothers. Xander just glanced back at me with an amused expression but he didn't move.

"I can promise you sir that we won't do that until she is comfortable. If she's comfortable tonight then I would do it in a heartbeat, but I won't do it till she is comfortable. I won't make her do anything she doesn't want to, but I'm not going to stop her and neither are you. That's a huge step in Werewolf relationships and you know that isn't something you mess with." Xander was respectful yet firm. I was actually impressed with the way he handled this situation.

"Good answer kid, but my statement still stands." My Dad restated and before I could protest further he pulled my Mom onto the dance floor.

"Elinn this is my mate you met her for a moment when we first found you. Her name is Lauraine and if you'll excuse us we are gonna take your suggestion and dance." Darius chuckled and he whisked the women he introduced me to into the throng of people.

"I would introduce you to my mate as well but she is currently hiding from me. I think she secretly loves food more than she loves me." Xander whispered like it was confidential information as he waltzed away to find his wife.

"Well that was pretty interesting don't you think?" Carter chuckled and his father laughed along with him. Carter turned to me planting a kiss on my head as he began to pull me to the dance floor.

"I think we should take your suggestion and dance don't you?" Carter asked but before I could answer I was whisked into the crowd.