Chapter 72: Golden Eyes

Carter

My wolf began snarling and immediately pinned our mate to the bed. Only it wasn't really our mate, she was kind and caring and this....creature was evil and conniving. It didn't seem to care about anything except keeping itself alive and trying to force Elinn back into her head.

"Oh, has the little pup come out to play? Do really think that you can take me? I would kill you so quickly that you wouldn't realize what had happened until the goddess of death came to take you to the Moon Goddess herself." The golden-eyed demon smirked up at us and my wolf's temper flared.

"What have you done to MY MATE! I won't hesitate to kill you if you have done something to her. Where is she!" My wolf snarled but that thing didn't seem to care. If anything it only served to amuse the little devil.

"You try so hard to be intimidating, but I have seen far worse than you. I have been trapped for a very long time in a very different kind of place. You are nothing compared to the demons I have slain, only a fly that will merely annoy me. So please try and contain your silly antics before I get bored of you and find something else to entertain me." A strange sort of power radiated off of this golden-eyed wolf that sent my wolf scrambling. He wasn't necessarily running, but he didn't know what she was or what she was capable of.

"I can see that you're taking my threat seriously as you should. Now I'm curious as to your knowledge and how far it could get you in discovery. So I want you to do my one little favor and I'll tell you where your little mate has run off to. Do we have a deal?" I was worried, this could be anything or mean anything. I had no way of guessing what she would ask for, but I had to find out what had happened to Elinn.

"You will tell me where Elinn is and answer one question of my own and I will do whatever you ask. If this favor though breaks boundaries that Elinn has already established the deal is off." I bargained and a low chuckle erupted from the girl beneath me.

"You really are a smart one trying to make sure I don't do anything to damage your precious little Elinn. I won't hurt her, after all, she is the one who made it so that I could be here. Why would I hurt the person that gave me such an opportunity? Now onto what I want you to do.

I simply want you to answer one question for me. It's not a hard question and there isn't a wrong answer so don't worry about that. I want you to tell me as much as you possibly can about how your kind were created and those who made it all happen." It was a simple request making me wonder what this could possibly have to do with anything.

"Long ago when the world was still young, the people who lived here were in constant turmoil. Everyone was constantly fighting for no reason other than they wanted to be the only ones who lived on the earth. There were those who just wanted to live in peace, but they couldn't find a place where people would leave them alone.

One night a young man fell to his knees after his village had once again been attacked. He prayed to anyone who would listen for someway for him to be able to keep his people safe. The Moon Goddess was listening and decided to help the poor man. She granted the man a second for that allowed him to become a wolf.

The man thanked the Moon Goddess and began to defend his village from those who wished to attack it. However soon it his wolf alone wasn't enough to defend the village and he once again fell on his knees. This time he prayed for some people to help him in this long and hard fight. The Moon Goddess realized that she had given him a wolf, but no pack to help his wolf grow strong.

So she turned to the man's best friend and gave him a wolf along with a beautiful young woman to be a mate his friend. She named her first creation Alpha and he would rule over the pack. The friend became the Beta of the small pack so he could better help his friend. Soon there were more wolves that appeared to help strengthen that first pack." I recited most of the story from memory. Growing up as a wolf you were taught the story from the time you could crawl.

"For years the pack flourished and the pack grew stronger. The new generation soon discovered that they to could shift into wolves and the Alpha and Luna enjoyed knowing this meant their children could protect themselves. As the first wolves began to wonder what would happen when they died. Their children needed people to guide them in the way of this life, but they were older when they had been turned into wolves and didn't know if they would have time to teach them everything.

The Moon Goddess could do nothing to stop this however and was forced to watch as her children tried to figure out an answer. No one knew how they could change anything and the whole pack began to suffer.

One day the Alpha was out on a run when he was attacked by a group of hunters. He was older and couldn't fight them all on his own. He fought hard but he was no match for the guns the men bore. His life began to flicker and the Goddess of Death came to collect his soul.

When she looked upon the man's face she instantly fell in love with him. She could see all of the memories of his life and saw that he was a good strong man. The Goddess of Death couldn't let him die and so extended his life and changed his body back to his younger state. Then decided to grant the same courtesy to the rest of his pack and their children.

When the Alpha awoke she was already fading away, but the mating bond fell into place in that one glance. Being mated to a Goddess was never supposed to happen but somehow it had become their reality. It seemed impossible, she had to live with the Moon Goddess helping those who died making the transition.

After many more years, one of the pack members began to become jealous of the Alpha. He wanted his power and his control over the pack and began to scheme to kill the Alpha. When he made his move he didn't immediately kill the Alpha he mortally wounded him taking over his position as Alpha. The Goddess of Death wouldn't let her mate die and gave him back his life.

However he was never the same, his wolf was nearly nonexistent. He could not try to take back control of his pack, but the Moon Goddess know what was happening and intervene. She turned the man who had tried to kill the Alpha into a rouge, the first rouge.

However, the pack was weakened without a strong Alpha so the Moon Goddess assigned a new one. The mate of the rouge was devastated by what had happened. Seeing her agony the Goddess granted her another mate so that she could be loved the way she should have." I finished explaining and that Golden-eyed thing was just smirking up at me.

"Well, it looks like you do know a little bit about those first werewolves. Do you know what became of them after the events you have been taught?" I thought hard and I didn't know.

"Well, that rouge decided that he would take his revenge on those pack members and so he returned. He killed every single pack member without any remorse. Luckily some of the children had grown up and created packs of their own and were safe to help the population continue.

One more question for you, have you ever wondered what color those wolves....no never mind that would be too obvious. I believe it is your turn to ask me a question now. What would you like to know?" She seemed so smug and I hated it.

"Where did you come from?" It was a good question to ask. She wasn't a normal wolf and I wanted to get a better understanding of what she was. Her smirk fell sightly at my question.

"I am from Hell itself. Your mate is sleeping and I'll be going now. She will be fine when she wakes up, maybe I'll even let her remember what happened this time. We'll see, until next time pretty boy." Elinn's eyes closed and didn't open again. Her breathing evened out and I knew she was asleep, I needed to talk to her parents right now.

I tucked my mate in making sure she was comfortable. I walked to the door turning off the light and glancing back at the bed once more. I was going to figure this out and I was going to do it now.

AN: Merry Christmas! Until next time, bye bye!