Chapter 30: The Rabbit and the Snare

I squeezed the trigger several times, hitting the target at the end of the long shooting range several times. If it was a living being, I would have damaged several of it's vital organs, and it would be dead in a few more moments. The fact I was getting more adept with guns was a strange and unpleasant feeling for me.

I lowered the M4 rifle that I had been fitted with, and took out the magazine, reloading the rounds in, sitting back in the chair. Surprisingly enough, the firing range was the only place other than my room where they would let me be alone. I guess seeing as how they could still monitor me, and there weren't a lot of places I could go, they didn't care as much.

As I kept loading up my gun, I heard someone walk past the guards, and walk into the room next to me. I looked up and saw Sparrow walk past me and took up a spot at the booth next to me. She gave me a quick nod. I stood up and loaded my gun, muttering below my breath. "Hey."

Sparrow had picked out a MP7 submachine gun, and she currently had it fully loaded. The light, compact gun suited her style. She aimed forwards with one hand, and started to fire at a paper target in short, targeted bursts. Like me, she preferred not to use living targets.

It had been a few days since the incident in the hologram room, and we were still trying to figure out what exactly had happened. I had tried to bring it up with both Mossberg and Joshua discreetly and bluntly, but neither of them had lent me any sort of answer or clue as to what they knew about it. Whatever that creature was, they knew as much about it as we did.

I slapped the magazine into the chamber of my rifle, and aimed down the 4x scope that I had attached to it, and looked at the new paper target that was at the end of the range. I popped off a few shots, taking out the head. Sparrow and I had only managed to communicate in the few times we trained together, or the moments we were here alone, and even then, very quietly.

I ran out of bullets again, and so did she. As we both reloaded, I spoke to her lowly, making my movements louder and making sure the guards couldn't hear us. "How you been doing? Figure out anything new yet?"

She tapped her round twice on the table to confirm that she had heard me, and started to mess with the iron sights that were on her gun. She aimed down it with her eye, and without looking at me, answered. "I'm fine. And from what I've seen, this place is all hallways. We could get lost in here if we tried to run. We need to get access to the elevator, then a car."

I sighed lowly, and cocked my gun to show that I had heard her. Aside from all of that, we also had to find Ivy first, and make sure that we wouldn't be followed. Even though the old man was supposedly helping us, he would always be in our heads now. But, first things first. I looked at the guards, and the keycards that were on their belts. "You let me worry about those."

Sparrow nodded, and was just about to start firing again, when the guards radio crackled with static, and a voice came through. I couldn't make out what it was saying, but the guard answered it, and appeared to listen for a bit, then nodded. "Alright then, ma'am. You two! Follow me, now."

The guard motioned to the both of us, and we looked at each other. If they needed both of us, it must be for something important. We slung both our weapons over our jackets into our tactical vests, and walked out with the guards.

As we moved into the elevator, we were taken upwards this time, and we found ourselves looking at a garage as the doors opened. It held rows of black Humvees, and even a few transport trucks, along with a helicopter. I was surprised that they had this much equipment left after the Singularity. But, my attention slowly turned to the activity that was happening near the front entrance.