Chapter 3

Photo of James Derick

We arrive at James game pretty early. People were still paying for their tickets going into the football field area. Mom wheels me to the ticket post and shows the person at the post my school ID card. Which allows 'only' students to get in for free and then she pays for herself. My phone vibrates on my arm telling me I was getting a text.

             James

You guy's here yet? sent at 10:21 a.m.

Yea, just got in. sent at 10:21 a.m.

Okay good, I'm in the locker room. sent at 10:22 a.m.

You good? sent at 10:23 a.m.

Just nervous.... sent at 10:23 a.m.

I'm on my way! sent at 10:24 a.m.

At this time mom just found our seats directly behind the back line of my brothers team.

"Hey...mom I'm going to the bathroom" I lie.

"Oh. Okay! Game starting soon, be quick".

I wheel myself between people which they instantly move out of my way when they see me. 3 minutes later I'm outside the boy's locker room. The strong smell of body odor hits my face like the wind. It smells so bad in here that I'm determine I won't be able to find what has been rotting in this room for months. Some players were still getting ready, but not as much. Warm-ups on the field is required in our school.

"James" I call out his name.

"Yea, over here" I hear him say close by.

Then next row of  lockers I see he is sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. James looks nothing like me and Martha; instead of brown hair, green eyes, and skinny... it was blond hair, blue eyes, and big bone. He wasn't heavy, he is way more lighter than heavy, but he is big bone. I wheel myself to him to move his hands away from his face. He slowly looks up at me...

"What happened to being so tough and never backing down"

"Come on Conner, that's was when we were kids".

"Well, it still applies don't you think?".

"My anxiety is starting to come back lately and I just don't know what to do."

I put my head down trying to think.

"Did you try taking your old medicine?" I look up.

"Yea, it's helping a lot, but what about after today. Going home trying to be normal like nothing wrong. I can't help remembering the crash and what happened to you." he puts his head down when I try to look him in the eyes.

"What happened to me is something you just have to get over."

"I can't" he snaps his head up. "If I could switch place with you I would, because then you can do whatever you always dream of being."

"What? A cop??" I chuckled "You have to get over it. I did! James, you got to remember your a Derick and Derick's are survivors."

"I know"

"I want to hear you say it!" I encourage him on.

"I'm a Derick and Derick are survivors."

I look around, trying to find something that's not there. "Do you hear that?" I hear silence. "Can you say that a lot more louder?"

"I'm a DERICK and DERICK'S are SURVIVORS"

"Now that's more like it. Now, get up and get out there and show them you're a Derick because I can't stand another second being in here."

James started to nod like he was ready to win a game. We walk out the boy's lockers room, and I wheel myself back to my seat, but not without James stopping me, of course.

"Hey Conner" I turn to look at him "Thanks bro"

I nod in reply and head back to my spot where my mom sat.

She smiles at me.

The game is about to begin.

#Srry for my short chapters. I'm just now editing. - July 26, 2018