14.

CHAPTER 14 - CARNATIONS

Almost everyone was in the office that morning and attended the meeting room. The boss had returned from a business trip and came with new innovative ideas for the company. The meeting started at 7 am and ended at 9 am. They discussed solutions for every issue raised and all came to an agreement before returning to work.

"These flowers came for you, madam." The secretary walked in with a large bouquet of carnations.

Alexia rose from her chair and watched as she placed the bouquet on her desk. The heavenly scent of the flowers filled her nostrils and she sighed, a smile spreading across her face. These were her favourite flowers. "Who brought them, Sally?" She wanted to know because it has been a while since someone bought her flowers.

"The delivery man of course." Sally the secretary replied and started heading towards the door.

"Isn't there a card or something?"

"There is, but I think I dropped it somewhere." Sally replied without looking back. She reached the door and then added. "I will find it." With that, she walked out.

Alexia's gaze was still at the door even after Sally left. She just could not explain why that girl still had her job. Sally was not the typical secretary who was always at her boss's disposal. Oh no, she was not. She mostly did things the way she wanted and not give a damn what she, Alexia told her. It was frustrating, because sometimes Alexia had to do the things herself. What was the need in having a secretary when she would not follow your orders? At this point, Alexia knew she had to find someone to replace her.

Dropping back down to the leather chair, she took the bouquet into her hands and inhaled the intoxicating smell. The first time someone sent her flowers, they were carnations. Since then, she has loved them.

"Madam, I found the note." Sally said, her head peeping into the office through the small opening of the door.

"Great." Alexia placed the flowers on the table.

"Okay I can't come over so I'm just going to read it to you. It says good luck..." Sally suddenly stopped reading and left her position without saying why.

"Sally!" Alexia called in disbelief. The ringing of a telephone echoed in her office and then she heard Sally speak. "At least you should have told me you got a call."

Putting the flowers aside, she decided to get down to business and look at some orders. Picking up a file from the stack crowding her desk, she flipped it open and read through. The telephone on the table rang immediately and startled her. She pressed a button and put the receiver between her shoulder and ear. "Hello." She said.

"Madam, there is someone here to see you." It was Sally on the line.

"Does this person have an appointment?" Alexia asked.

"No, but he says it's really important."

"Who is it?"

"Colin Knight."

Alexia felt the blood run out of her face and the file slid out of her hand, falling onto the table. Had she heard it, right? Did Colin come to see her? What was he doing here? Why was he in her office? Why will he not leave her the heck alone?

"Madam, should I let him in?"

No! Alexia wanted to scream.

Damn it, he cannot come in. She was not ready to see him yet. She had not gotten over the memory of their kiss. It was still fresh and vivid in her mind. Her knees still shook and heart raced whenever she recalled that passionate moment. It had been so magical that she has had dreams about it and even fantasied about having his lips on other parts of her body. No, she could not meet him when she was feeling this nervous. What would she say? How would she react if he brought it up?