Chamber of Secrets and How Big of a Twat Was Dumbledore?

"Since I first read Harry Potter I have hated what Salazar Slytherin stood for..." Lauren says, voice muffled by food being chewed enthusiastically.

Camila nods. "I've read somewhere that the Harry Potter generation, kids who grew up reading the books, are more tolerant and accepting of people who are different. Like, we're more likely to be compassionate and aware of the social injustices minorities and the LGBT community go through, because it's literally how it was in Hogwarts -- it's a fight between pureblood fanatics, as headed by Slytherin himself, and the good guys who embrace both magical folks and muggle-borns. Pretty much what's happening today in America," she scoffs.

"I fucking hate Trump and his soulless allies," Lauren growls in between her chomping.

Camila finds that quite adorable, if she's being honest. She's reminded of her old tabby cat -- temperamental, territorial, crazy, yet cute and loving especially when it's feeding and belly rubs time. Whenever she gives her treats, it will growl possessively whenever Camila pretends to snatch them away, but then it will ask to be petted while chomping happily on her treats. Camila almost wants to pet Lauren.

Then, Lauren continues, "but, like, I've thought about Salazar and his issues... Like, have you ever considered that maybe he's a little misunderstood?"

"A little misunderstood?" Camila frowns. "Lauren, he created the chamber of secrets and put a whole ass muggle-born killing machine in there with the intent of cleansing Hogwarts of what he deemed impure. Salazar is responsible for all the unfair persecutions and the division of the wizarding world, the fuck are you talking about? There's nothing to misunderstand about that!"

"But think about this... Somehow, I feel like Salazar Slytherin had a point --"

"What the fuck, Lauren!" Camila kicks her leg.

"No, listen! I'm not condoning his actions -- the chamber of secrets was hateful -- and everything that came after that, Voldemort and all those crazy pureblood fanatics..."

"Duh!"

"But!" Lauren raises her hand, the one not holding her chopsticks, and says, "but Hogwarts was literally built during a time when wizards and witches suffered much persecution -- they were hunted and persecuted by muggles! They lived in an era when magic was feared by muggles, and the wizarding community was hunted down, their numbers dwindling down -- and I think I remember Ron, or someone, saying that if wizards and witches didn't procreate with muggles their lineage would have long died down. So imagine such time, that the greatest wizards and witches of that age had to band together and create a safe haven for the future of magic, to educate kids, and also hide from the prying and judgmental eyes of muggles, and then your three friends wanted to let muggle-borns in and give them magical education, just imagine how Slytherin must have felt."

"It's an act of kindness and fairness," Camila says. "Accept the fact that the Godric, Rowena, and Helga were better people, and Salazar was prideful and a jerk."

"But do you see Salazar's point? Letting Muggle-borns in during that time was potentially dangerous, Camz. I mean, I would have been suspicious and afraid too. Imagine giving the very people who are trying to persecute you ammunition and weapons to make them even more capable to fight your people? Salazar didn't want to accept muggle-borns because he believed they were untrustworthy."

Camila crosses her arms petulantly. "It's not fair to pre-judge and deprive people of an opportunity just because of the paranoid delusions of one man."

"Yes, but his opinion is logical during that time. He didn't want to endanger Hogwarts by admitting students from a group of people he thought were untrustworthy. What if muggles purposely plant spies inside Hogwarts? Or have their muggle-borns trained, and then using those very same students to fight and kill off wizards? His logic was valid during such time in the wizarding world."