( thirty-eight )

Harley hated standing in the night

Harley hated standing in the night. Not because the sky was dark, or because there was a chill running up her spine, but because the last time she had been this terrified during nightfall was when grounders invaded their camp, back at the dropship. They brought Lincoln back to Camp Jaha, and Clarke had left once more to have a talk with the grounder that intimidated Harley, who she had learned was Commander Lexa. Most of her run in with grounders didn't go well, but she hoped that this commander was merciful enough and would spare them.

The wait for Clarke to return was excruciating. Harley was stuck in the crowd, staring at the gate with wide eyes, until she saw a shadow in the fog. There were three, two riding on horses and holding up torches with a smaller figure in between. She breathed in relief, when seeing them become closer and recognizing Clarke approaching the gate. However, the guards in front of the crowd lifted their guns forward, Bellamy and Clover among them.

"Hold on!" Harley could hear Clover shout. She nudged her way forward, mumbling soft 'excuse me' a few times, until she was nearby the gate. She could see Clover nod to Bellamy, gesturing towards Clarke to point her out.

"It's Clarke!" Bellamy exclaimed. "Open the gate!" Major Byrne began barking orders, warning the other guards before allowing one guard to pull the lever that would open it. The grounders remained outside as Clarke strolled in, but the guards still remained cautious with their firearms pointed forward. Harley could see the look of dismay plastered over Clarke's face, and it worried her severely. Something had to be wrong.

There was a blur racing past Harley, who after turning her head, could see it was Finn. Clarke was immediately troubled as he approached her, whirling around and ordering the guards. "Shut the gate!" It shut quickly, trapping the grounders on horses outside as Clarke grabbed Finn's upper arm and tugged him forward.

Harley followed after them, needing to know what was happening. If it was good news, Clarke wouldn't be so distressed. Abby was the first to catch her daughter in an embrace, relieved before pulling away. "What did she say?" She questioned. "Is there a chance for a truce?" By now, they had drew a crowd, mixed from residents and members of the guard, all wanting to know their fate that was left in the hands of the commander.

Nodding back, Clarke uttered a single word. "Yes."

But there was something off. Clarke wasn't acting pleased, even somewhat thrilled that she was offered a truce for peace. "Clarke, what is it?" Harley asked, leaning forward. "What's wrong?"

Clarke looked sick as she spoke, forcing herself to look at Finn. "They want you. If we want a truce, we have to give them Finn." Harley felt her world spin, her jaw falling into a gape. She could hardly stand being around Finn, she was pretty frightened of him, but to hear that they had to pass over Finn to the grounders, for what she assumed wasn't going to be a fun trip wasn't soothing. "That's their offer."

"That's not an offer," Raven practically exclaimed, joining the crowd and standing beside Harley. She could see the stress on the mechanic, and Harley knew it was because Finn was all she had left.