( forty-three )

Harley should be scared, but she wasn't

Harley should be scared, but she wasn't. There were times that she had been terrified out of her mind, surrounded by grounders, but she knew it was different this time. There was the peace treaty intact, and Kane had them disarmed before entering Camp Jaha. She chose to attend the meeting, knowing that this was where Kane would attempt to calm whatever was tense between them. Despite remembering the scarring injury on her side, and the memory of her friends meeting their end during the war, there were no hard feelings in Harley's heart. They were defending their land from what they thought were intruders, and they couldn't dwell on the past, only improve their future.

Different grounders poured in, from men to women, all dressed in their full gear, only missing swords and weapons hanging in sheaths. Despite the frigid scowls on their face, Harley kept a warm smile on her face with her hands clasped together in front of her politely. "Monin," she greeted a few, catching some surprised stares. (Welcome.) She was beginning to learn, what Lincoln called, Trigedasleng, their language, from Octavia. Most of the words Harley knew were easy phrases and words, and how to introduce herself.

While Harley was friendly and welcoming, from beside her, Murphy was not. She could see the glare he was sporting towards the grounders as he clutched a cup. She did, however, miss the few looks being shot their way. "What's that mean?" Murphy asked, his voice just audible over the crowds mumbling.

"It means welcome," Harley answered. "I want them to feel comfortable here." Murphy snorted at her explanation, choosing not to respond. She frowned, but didn't push it.

Kane's voice suddenly echoed as he approached, keeping Harley quiet out of respect. "Alright, quiet down." A hush fell over everyone. He held his hand out, allowing their current leader Indra to pass first. "Indra, please." Harley could see the hesitation Indra had, before she complied and he followed in suit, stopping in the circle with his hands on his hips. "I know we don't have a lot in common," he announced. "But we do have a common enemy and a common goal. And for us to reach it, to get out people out of Mount Weather, we need to work together." He paused, glancing towards Indra. "Ogeda. Skaikru and Trikru." (Together. Sky people and tree people.)

As Kane continued, Harley listening closely, a grounder approached, his angry stare directed straight towards Murphy. The presence only grabbed her attention when Murphy spoke, asking the stranger. "You got a problem?"

"Yu sou don set raun der en ai em op taim ai stegeda don ge flosh klin," the grounder snarled. (You stood there watching while my village was massacred.)

Harley could hardly understand him, but she planted herself in between them with her hands up. "Hey, let's just pay attention to Kane," she requested softly. "There's no need for this."

"Em laik ripa," the grounder retorted in anger. (He's a killer.) "Du osir don wan op sentaim." (He should have died too.)

From beside Harley, Murphy let out a short laugh, amused by how furious the grounder was. "I'm sorry man, I don't speak grounder."