49|end like this

All my love, and thank you for sticking around.

----------

Later that night, I sat in the driveway to my house with my mother by my side in the driver's seat.

Stiles and I had made it back to his house before she got there, meaning she didn't know I had gone against what she had said and left his house. However, it wouldn't have mattered, considering it took her almost three hours to come and get me.

Stiles and I had just watched a movie in silence so that neither of us had to talk about what had just happened.

She sat there quietly, mauling things over in her head.

"Mum, I need you to tell me what's going on, because I'm really starting to freak out," I told her, a hint of urgency in my voice.

She nodded slowly, staring out the front of the car. "I'm sorry. It's not something easy to explain."

"Well, you need to try. Please."

"Okay," she nodded again. "You're not normal, obviously. Your genes, they're not normal. It's something you'll learn to control over time, but for now you just need to stay in the dark. Something's coming, and the less you know, the safer you will be."

"How will I be safer?" I shouted. "If I don't know what's happening, how am I supposed to control it?"

She turned on me, her eyes more serious than I'd ever seen them before. "Ignore it. Push every urge to use it down and don't look back."

"Mum-"

"No," she shook her head. "I know I told you that I would tell you, but things have changed now. They're coming."

This caught my attention. Did she know about the werewolves? Was that what she was referring to? "Who's coming?"

She didn't answer as she concentrated, listening for something. I did the same. I could hear the sound of glass breaking somewhere near by.

"I'm too late," she mumbled.

I felt my heart begin to beat faster as my anxiety began to get the better of me. "Mum, what's going on? You're scaring me."

"Good, you should be scared," her no-nonsense manner wasn't helping to calm me down, her face as cold as stone. "Stay here. Lock the doors. Don't get out of the car no matter what."

Before I could respond, she jumped out and shut the door behind herself, running into the house.

I wanted to panic, but I didn't have the time for that. Listening carefully, I tried to figure out what was happening. People were talking; I was unable to make out what they were saying, but there were at least three or fours different voices.

Even though I had never personally been apart of one, I didn't think break ins usually ended with so much talking. I heard a door open, so I climbed out of the car.

My mother may have told me to stay in the car, but if she was in danger there was no way that that was happening. Figuring it had been the back door, I went down the side of the house and followed the noise.

The low whisper of the voices gained volume as I grew closer. I could make out words here and there.

'Betrayal' 'moon' 'honesty' 'enemies'.

None of it sounded good.

I stuck to the side of the house, draping myself in its shadow. They were in the backyard; my mother and whoever else was with her, I was certain of it.