Chapter 11 - Galahad's disrespect

Her next dance is with the king. Arnoldus is stunned when he feels her tiny form against him in a traditional waltz. He is astonished that her tiny form could harbor so much strength and skill as a warrior yet still be as gentle and light as a feather. "You keep surprising me, Marilyn. How is that you are as frail as a feather but as courageous and mighty as a dragon?"

"I have never thought of myself as frail. If your majesty knew me long enough, you would call me wild and untamed. I don't like the tethers of the aristocracy, but the freedom of just being me. Even the boys in Eastcroft had a hard time with me and I love being adventurous and living life to the full. But my mother's illness tainted some of my free nature and then Grimston stole it. I don't understand why he wants to take away the one thing I love more than my father."

"You love that freedom and you are afraid this pre-arranged marriage will bind you."

"In more ways than one. Leaving me a vengeful disgruntled and bitter woman that would want nothing more than to see the death of my husband and that of lord Grimston."

"I cannot promise you that I might be able to stop the wedding, but as long as you remain in hiding. The wedding can be postponed. Marilyn, you have the day off tomorrow to prepare for the long journey to the king's council. Just make sure you report to Ashton to receive a letter of authority and a list of supplies you will need for the road. Eguardo, Bonecrusher and Keera will accompany you as they have to do the same and as my coachman, Bonecrusher also needs to take my coach into town and Marilyn enjoy the ball."

"Thank you, your majesty."

The king leads her to a waiting Prince Arwin who, bows gallantly before taking her hand. "My sweet lady, you look absolutely lovely tonight." He purrs making her blush for what feels like the hundredth time. His hand resting in the small of her back sends a tingling warm sensation to spread across her back. Her heart hammers inside her chest as their bodies came into contact. At this rate, he is going to give her a heart attack. Just like during the fight she became intimately aware of Arwin holding her in his arms while dancing with her. The world dims around them and she finds herself imprisoned by his eyes. Wonder fills her as she lets him guide her across the dance floor as if floating on a cloud. Her heart continues to race throughout the dance.

The heat from his body overwhelms her senses and also makes her feel lightheaded. They hold each other's eyes imprisoned and Marilyn could not understand what is happening to her and why Arwin is making her feel this way. She is at a complete loss of words as Arwin occupies all of her senses.

🦊

All too quickly the music stops and so did the dance, for what feels like an eternity they stare into each other's eyes, unwilling to break the embrace. Arwin leads her by the hand to the balcony, where he stands holding her hand gently as he stares deep into her eyes. Losing himself in those depths as he came closer to her face. She could feel his breath against her lips and she holds her own breath. Arwin couldn't help himself as her eyes lure him like a moth to the flame.

Arwin's head is the first to turn sideways followed by the burning sting on his cheek. When he looks back at her, her eyes shoot flames at him and in her wrath, she never looked more beautiful to him. It hit him like a fist in the gut. He wants no-one else. He smirks. This is the first time a girl has ever turned down his attentions. This girl is not lured by his status and he likes it.

The sting of his cheek warms his face and sends his pulse racing. "You would turn down a lover's kiss of your Crown Prince?"

"Yes, and I will do it again if you try to kiss me like that again. You barely even know me and now you want a kiss after just one dance? I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, your majesty but I have no interest in a romantic relationship right now."