8

Evan's POV:

Being too nice is a major flaw of mine. I hate saying no to people, which is why I am covering a class during my only free period.

I enter the pre-calculus class and the students look me over furiously.

"I'll be covering your class today. My name is Mrs. Copeland if you don't know that already. " I sigh, sinking carefully into the cushioned chair.

I call the attendance, most students being present. I come across a familiar name and sigh internally. "Brewer, Alexis."

"Here." She says from the corner, her eyes already on me.

I nod and put a check by her name, trying not to pay too much attention to her.

Class proceeds and I glance over the email with class instructions and realize quite quickly that I'll have to do some lecturing.

I write two equations on the board and face the class again, "first steps?"

Of course, no one offers to give me an answer. I cock my hip and sigh, my eyes falling to Lexi who is nestled into the corner.

I raise my brows at her and I watch a wave of fear come over her eyes, "no one?" I question, easing her worry that I might call on her for something.

"Asymptotes, domain, range..." I continue to ramble with no success. I work through the problem, verbally explaining each step to the class.

Some students scribble down notes, others watch in boredom. Once both equations are complete, I wander back over the the desk to let the students work on their worksheets with practice problems.

"Aren't you like... an English teacher?" A young, cocky baseball player asks me, staring at my work on the board. "How do you even know how to do this?"

"I have a degree in both subjects." I say and sigh, waiting for his follow up question.

"Why?"

"Who says you can only do one thing?" I smile.

He shrugs and goes back to the worksheet and a quiet murmur flows over the classroom as they students help one another on the equations.

"You don't have to be such a disgusting pig, you know?" I hear a defensive tone from the back of the room, causing me to look that way.

I immediately realize it was Lexi and she looks angry.

"Chill out, Brewer. Why does it matter to you?" The teen in front of her laughs.

"You just have to sexualize everything, don't you? It's disgusting. Women are more than just things you stick your dick in, you ignorant asshole." Lexi's comments get more and more ill-suited.

"That's more than enough. Lexi, out in the hall." I demand.

She stands up and rolls her soft blue eyes and exits the room, letting a tense silence fall over the class.

Some students hide their smirks, but others bear them proudly. "What was that about?" I ask the boy who Lexi was jumping on.

"Nothing, she's just crazy." He says. Somehow, I find that hard to believe.

"I better not hear a word from anyone or I will be writing someone up." I say sternly as I meet the distraught teen in the hall.

I meet her with sympathetic eyes and ask softly, "what was that about?"

"He's being disgusting." She scoffs, arms folded over her chest and eyes looking elsewhere. She shows her feelings all over her face.

"About?" I ask, pushing further.