Part: 28 Epilogue 1

Thirst of power and of riches now bear sway, the passion and infirmity of age.
-James Anthony Froude

7 weeks later

People say that there's just this small slit between life and death, perhaps a wide enough berth between happiness and despair but hope and an anguishing state of hopelessness seems two different worlds far beyond the reach of one another.

And in seven weeks time Roopak had not only understood but experienced the vast difference between these two worlds. Seven weeks ago he stood at the same spot outside this same courtroom with his heart beating like a wild horse while his mind raced through options to save his brother.

And seven weeks later now, here he was, standing on the same spot before the courtroom, his heart yet again racing while he watched the embellished adorning of the palace walls while his brother stood beside him and grinned.

He grinned back, it was his crowning ceremony after all!

The crackers whizzed past him, burst and cracked in the evening sky and the drums continued to roll in the loudest and the most enthusiastic beat that the drummers knew as the arrival of the new king was announced with lots of pomp and fanfare.

The cheers and plaudits from all around didn't stop until he stood right in front of the dais that held the golden throne and the crown laying atop its silky cushions.

The group that had followed behind him of a handful of people now dispersed on either side of the large hallway that lay glowing like a contrasting sun in the evening sky. All the merits of the dazzling candle chandeliers, the glittery lanterns at every nook and cranny reflecting through the Persian carpets and glass crystals hanging low from the ceiling.

The floor thoroughly covered with flowers adding an exotic fragrance to an already festive ambiance.

He sighed and then he smiled, a slow leisurely smile. 'It was a beautiful day.'

His brother, his little Chandra stood beside him smiling along with his sweet sister-in-law Devika on this beautiful cool evening as people celebrated outside for the end to a terrible phase of a old cruel king and cheered to a new beginning as their beloved Prince Roopak was crowned as the new king of Maniteek.

It was sometime through the celebration and the happy chaos that seemed to have surrounded him when his eyes caught the first sight of his wife after seven long nights.  Many nights ago she was in a bright red wedding attire, forlorn and confused when he left her in that dim and empty wedding hall, but now here she was.... Smiling softly and in a moment of panic he gazed through the crowd to see who was on the returning end of those bewitching smiles, specifically if it was his brother.

He sighed, a little relived and a bit ashamed at it was just the dancers, his brother was nowhere to be seen around.

'So, she likes folk music. Interesting!'

"Your majesty.....Your majesty!"

"Huh?" He blushed a little at having been caught stealing glances of his own wife.

"Yes?"

"With your permission, may we start the banquet for the guests?"

"Go on, please do."

That was another thing that has changed in these seven weeks time. His perspective towards this unconventional marriage.

No, he wasn't ready to dive head first into a relationship with this woman, nor physical, neither social. But within these last few weeks, he had come to accept that the marriage had happened and she is his wife, 'His queen'