Chapter 20~Brave Enough

Mckayla

I didn't waste any time in having everyone back outside training in the early noon. After I made breakfast for everyone I put them right to work. They hadn't like my sudden ordering around but they had made me leader of this pack, so that's what they were going to get. I didn't want to lose anyone to the fight with General and his pack of rogues.

I was showing Rachel a new technique when I flipped her onto her back. She fell onto her hand and I heard her bone pop before a cry escaped her lips. Sara rushed over to Rachel's side, snarling wild and derranged. I didn't let Sara reach Rachel as I grabbed onto her.

Sara tried to fight through my strength but I held her away from Rachel. Sara snarled louder about to rake her claws at me when Rachel shot up catching her hand.

"Sara..." Rachel shouted out. "I'm okay. It will heal in a few hours." She let her injured hand cradle against her chest.

Sara snapped out of her rage calming instantly. She clasped onto Rachel, pulling her into a tight embrace. Tears streamed from her eyes.

Everyone stopped what they were doing focused on the dramatic moment Sara performed. When she calmed well enough, she didn't look directly at me but under her breath she apologized.

"You know why I stopped you from going to her?" I asked solemnly.

After taking in a few shuddering breaths Sara nodded. "I lost control."

"You know I wouldn't purposely hurt my sister...right?"

Sara nodded.

"Imagine us facing the rogues...or General himself...hurting her." I heard the low rumble emanating from Sara's throat but continued anyway. "I'm not saying...not go to her side if she needs you. I'm saying, don't get lost in rage or fear of losing her. You can't help her that way." I turned to everyone else, speaking louder. "That goes for all of us. No matter what, stay focused and trust not only the person you're mated to, but every Were in this pack. When ones hurt we all set in our mission to protect and help each other. Understood?"

The pack agreed and I dismissed them off stating that we needed to rest and be ready by midnight to attack. It was only three in the afternoon; plenty of time to rest our muscles. Werewolves got over pain and injuries instantly, depending on how severe.

"Sara. A moment?" I stopped Sara before she walked along Rachel's side.

Rachel wanted to stay but Sara told her to go and Nina left too, giving us privacy. I let a few heartbeats pass before breaking the silence. "I hadn't expected you and my sister to be a mated pair. Did you always know?"

I knew since I wasn't quite Alpha she didn't have to tell me anything. I had no right to ask?

"Part of me knew, but I ignored it."

"Why?"

"My wolf knew she would reject me at the time. Now she's opened that door for us. She wasn't ready. And...she's...younger."

"But old enough to mate," I pointed out.

"She's still younger."

"Unlike humans, it won't matter in five years. You'll look the same age and because of her bloodline you'll live even longer as mates."

Sara huffed crossing her arms over her chest. She furrowed a brow at me with a smirk. "Aren't you a little bothered that I'm your sisters mate?"

I looked at her incredulous. Should I have? Those years ago; we were young adults. We didn't know who all our real enemies were. Just old childhood resentment. We slept together because there were no other women to sleep with. In the last few weeks of being here, our relationship was building towards friendship. At least that was my perception. "I trust that you have the best interest in her...in this pack," I told her honestly. I didn't need to say more, and Sara nodded.