Epilogue~Past Bites

Mckayla
~

   One week was given to all of us before life started to show that I could never just have my happy ending. "Kaylee...get inside the house," I order her. She frowned, crossing her arms over her chest stumping off.

   Shit never gave me a break. For the last week I tried to live a normal Weres life. I hadn't taken up the position of an Alpha or Nina's mate yet. I was still in my old packs territory on a trail basis.

   Kaylee and I had started off great and deteriorated a little in one week. Parenting was harder than expected. I didn't know how to talk to her about being simply a girl. I tried, but I was still partly closed to my humane half.

   Right now, I had no time for being soft and cuddling as Nina and everyone kept telling me I needed to be for Kaylee's sake. I tried.

   Right now there was a small pack of Rogues, all in wolf form except one. The rest of the rogues looked callus and disturbed.

Probably non-shifters, I concluded. Rogues who could never shift back human.

   "So...this is your new life? Or shall I say...old?" She said vexed by the sight of my maybe pack behind me. "Not a rogue anymore?" She said sarcastically, wiping her hands across her honey tone skin. Her eyes were shaped like mini eggs as her expression seemed tightened and roughly curved.

   "Who is this fucking clown?" Malcolm pointed to the woman leading the rogues.

   I didn't answer feeling abashed about a piece of my past I rather forget about. Not because I was ashamed of it but the memories hurt.

   "Rogue..." She answered cunningly stating her own name proudly.

   "Nah...for real?" Cullen insisted.

   She snarled and I growled back giving her a clear threat not to do anything. "Her. Names. Rogue," I repeat for them to take it serious.

   Cullen huffed. "Really?" he said rhetorically.

   Rachel, Sara, and a few others step out onto the porch and I snarl again telling them to stay back.

   "I hear you have a daughter. Can I meet--"

   "You fucking go near and her I'll kill you," I snarled. My canines protruded as I made my statement loud and clear. "Try me," I threat.

   Rogue snacked her lips laughing as she shifted her head to the rogues, all six in wolf. "You don't trust me anymore?"

   It looked like they wanted to laugh but could never express human emotion again. I grimaced at a time when all I ever wanted was to stay wolf forever.

   "He wants to see you," Rogue told me flatly.

   "No thanks," I growl.

   "It wasn't a request," Rogue said.

   Nina seized onto my hand skewing her face into a perplexed frown. "How do you know her?"

   I closed my eyes, sighing, not wanting to answer her question.

   "I was her...lover. And...she worked for my father," Rogue said smirking, taking pleasure in throwing that in her face. "That is...until she betrayed us."

   "I didn't betray--"

   "You tried to kill my fucking father and left me," Rogue snarled, stepping closer as her eyes shifted gold. I didn't waver or back away, instead feeling chills course through me. I did love Rogue and that was one of my biggest regret. Leaving her.

   My eyes matched hers. "He knows why I tried to kill him," I tell her not regretting my past actions when it came to her father; only wishing I succeeded. Rogue looked Nina up and down perverted and I growled deep and low. "Stay away from my mate; daughter; sister; and this whole fucking pack." I hated that I was in this position with her but I knew what she was capable of. "I don't want you as an enemy."
    "Too late for that."

   Nina stiffened and shuddered all at once. I had only called her my mate once, in the cave with Kaylee a week ago and now again.

   Rogue just smirked taking my order like a joke.

   "I think its about time you leave," Sara stated. "My mate doesn't like the look you're giving her sister and neither do I."

   I couldn't afford to turn my head from Rogue, so I took in a long inhale breathing in Rachel's scent. She was on the verge of shifting.

   Rogue nodded, arching a brow at my sister. "She has your attitude."

   "Then its best for you to go," I tell her breathing fume down my nostrils. "I'm bad enough. Don't want to face another me." I stretch my arms out," or this pack."

   "My fathers fair. He'll give you time to adjust to your knew life. But...you have one month and he wants to meet you face to face. He won't take a no for an answer."

   I growled exposing my teeth. "I got the message. Now leave."

   Rogue turns to her pack of rogues, snapping her fingers. They pivot back slowly walking off in a distance a few dozen feet before waiting again for Rogue to follow. "One month Kayla." She starts walking backwards, smart not to give her back. "Oh...you look very...appetizing as always. I surely can't wait till I can touch you again." She winked at me before storming off.

   Once Rogue and her rogue pack was out of sight, Nina grabbed onto me in an embrace.

   "What does she want with you?" Nina ask, touching me all over as if Rogue physically touched me.

   "Whatever it is...obviously not good," Malcolm pointed out. "For you and this pack."

   I stare at him unamused.

   "I could kill her right now," Rachel growled angry.

   I put my hand over her shoulder. "She is one of the strongest Weres I know. I've faced her once and that was a challenge."

   Bran and Sonia came out in unison. They were the mascots for what a good mated pair looked like.

   "What do you plan to do?" Malcolm said cutting straight to the point. "Seems your past...bites."

   I snarled at his crappy humor.

   Nina didn't allow me to answer. "It doesn't matter right now. You have one month. Right now...you have an angry daughter in the house."

   Nina was right. This is why I should be realistic and stay here with Nina. But...being here threatened the packs, and Nina's safety.

   Far as my daughter...how could I be me and have her at the same time. I had already made it clear to myself, I wouldn't leave Kaylee behind. I needed to keep that promise.

   I nodded agreeing with Nina's logic. "One month," I growled. I nodded, shaking away my anxiety as I walked into the house with the pack and to my daughter.

   One month. Fuck! This was going to be a long damn month.