THIRTEEN

AVA'S POV

-Next Day-

Lorelai barges into my room before handing me a letter. Her face looks worrisome. I furrow my eyebrows, "You alright?"

She sighs, "Yes, I'm alright. The morning has just not gone as planned, that's all." I set the letter down beside me before turning my attention to her.

"What happened?"

She frowns, "I'm getting a divorce."

My eyes widen as I raise my eyebrows, "Forgive me, but why?" She begins to tear up, "Robert had an affair with Amber, my sister!"

I gasp, "Oh Lorelai, I'm so sorry. Come here." She immediately falls into my embrace. I gently pat her back before my door opens and Veronica storms inside.

Lorelai jumps, clearly embarrassed and Vee immediately looks extremely guilty, "I'm so sorry for intruding. I could go, and come back later or I-"

Lorelai cuts her off, "No miss, please stay. I shall bring you both a pot of warm tea?" Before I can protest Lorelai has left the room.

I glance at Vee, "I'm so sorry about last night. I should have told you."

She frowns, "Yes, indeed. You should have." I shut my eyes, "Veronica, I am terribly sorry. Believe me, guilt is eating me up inside."

She sighs, "You are not around anymore. After Claire and Marie left, you've been spending all your time with Max."

I walk over to her and immediately wrap her in a warm embrace. "Could you ever forgive me?"

She sighs, "Only if you tell me everything that happened between you and Max. Please, spare me the gory details!"

I burst out laughing, "Ah, how fortunate am I to have a friend like you!"

MAX'S POV

My Father has been on my case about The Royal Games, I must admit I am a tad bit behind schedule with regards to the admin.

I make a mental note to sit down later on and catch up on that. On the other hand, my coronation is around the corner, along with the event comes new territory.

The transition to becoming King is extremely draining. I planned to mingle with the ladies today but instead I'll be here in my chambers sorting through documents and papers.

Everytime I achieve something or feel some sort of accomplishment, more work gets thrown at me.

Which reminds me, family day is lurking around the corner too.

AVA'S POV

After Vee and I had our third pot of tea, I decide that I should freshen up and head out to the library. It's the one room that I have not been in at all.

I then remember the letter on my bed.

Once I've made myself comfortable in a corner by the library I tear open my letter.

It's from my Mother.

Dear Ava

I hope it is going well with you.

The house is quieter and somewhat emptier without you. I miss you.

I suppose now is not the best time to inform you about the news.

Your Father is ill. He has been diagnosed with Polio.

I have tried my best to give him the medical attention that he needs but that does not seem like it's good enough.

His days are limited, I can tell.

He unfortunately will not be attending family day, but Kate and I will attend. The nurse will stay with your Father.

We are forger grateful for you, Ava. If you were not sending cheques home I doubt your Father would have made it thus far.

We love you. Always.

Yours sincerely
Mom

I silently begin to weep. Just the thought of him not making another day, it deeply saddens me.

I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder.

Through my glossy eyes I manage to identify the individual.

Still unable to function sufficiently I remain frozen in my position.

QUEEN'S POV

Seeing Ava so helpless breaks my heart. It's as if my motherly instincts kick in.

Immediately I knell down and gently pull her into my embrace. She collapses into me her arms wrapping themselves around my shoulders. I gently pat her back and smoothen out her hair.

This interaction takes me back to when Philip and I were trying for a second baby.

I always fancied the idea of having a daughter.

To bad it never came true.

I notice a letter lying loosely on the rug. I can briefly make out the words, Father and polio.

Now I understand. Poor girl.

AVA'S POV

After what seems like an eternity, I finally stop crying and get ahold of myself.

I slowly break away from the Queen's embrace. Her gentle blue eyes meet mine.

It's like there was some sort of reassurance. I smile weakly, "Thank you, your majesty. I apologize profusely, as this is not the manner I would have wanted our second meeting to go."

She smiles, "Don't worry dear. I'd much rather see the real you than the stereotypical version. Believe you me, I am imperfect all the time, but being able to own up to those imperfections makes a true Queen ."

I smile and thank her one last time as I hold on to her words.

I am imperfect all the time, but being able to own up to those imperfections makes a true Queen.