EIGHTEEN

AVA'S POV

-Later-

Veronica and I finally settled on a dress for the Royal Games next week.

Vee has decided to do something extravagant.

She beams, "I need to pull out all the stops."

I smile, "Well you look spectacular

I smile, "Well you look spectacular. I have decided to go for something more simple and effective."

She smiles, "You look like a princess

She smiles, "You look like a princess."

I blush, "Oh, um. Thank you."

MAX'S POV

Veronica and I have decided to have dinner together.

Despite us having dinner, I've made up my mind. Ava is the one.

For the sake of respecting my parents I've decided to keep Veronica.

She smiles, "Max, what did you think of all the families that you met?"

I smile, "They were very unique and each stood out in different ways."

She nods, "Any family in particular that sparked an interest in you?"

I take a moment, "Yes. Yes, there was a family that sparked an interest in me."

Her eyes light up, "Oh, pardon me for being nosy. But, whose family was it?"

I smile, "Ava's."

She nods slowly, "Oh. Well, you handled Ross very well."

Curiosity takes over me.

I raise my eyebrows, "You familiar with Ross?"

She shrugs, "Briefly. Ava and Ross have quite a history. In fact, they were supposed to get married. But instead, here we are."

I nod slowly as I was unaware of their relationship being that serious.

She cocks her head to the side, "You alright?"

I nod, "I'm perfect."

AVA'S POV

-A Few Days Later-

Max has been gone again, but this time he at least said goodbye. He had a Royal gathering that he needed to attend with the King.

So today, Veronica and I get to spend time with the Queen.

Once I was ready to start the day, Lorelai walks in and hands me a letter.

I smile, "Thank you very much."

She smiles and nods, "I'll give you a few minutes to yourself before adding some finishing touches to your look."

I smile and shake my head. Lorelai is a perfectionist.

As soon as I see who the letter is from, immediately I feel a sense of guilt that I cannot deny.

Ross.

Gently, I open the letter.

Dear Ava

My love.

Your absence has most certainly made my heart grow fonder. I promise you, when I was at the castle and I told you that I loved you, I meant it.

You and I are meant to be together. If you really disagreed you would have denied me when I poured my heart out to you at the castle.

I find myself reminiscing about how sweet your fragrance and gentle kisses. Or when you would hold me close to you while creating a pathway in my hair with your fingers.

I long for our secret kisses, long walks, deep conversations and the pure look of excitement whenever I brought up marriage.

I can tell that you are not happy where you are. You seem trapped and burdened. I am partly to blame as I should have stopped you from entering this selection.

I understand that your family is in desperate need financially and I understand that you're Father's health is crumbling. Come home, we can find a way to make sure that be can receive whatever treatment he needs.

I've never been one to beg, but I'm desperate. In fact, I'm hopelessly in love with you.

I miss you dearly.

Your lover
Ross

I close the letter and immediately I begin to break down.

Why am I so torn? Should the answer not be simple?

There's a light knock on my door.

I do not even care in the slightest as to who it could be.

I feel the presence on the floor, engulfing me into her embrace.

I sob, "Vee, read this! How do I react to something like this?"

VERONICA'S POV

I skim through the letter before smirking.

Well done, Ross.

Once I glance back down at Ava I cannot deny the guilt that I am feeling.

I push that aside as there is unfortunately nothing that I am wiling to do that will jeopardize my place with Max.

The only way for me to gain the title of becoming Queen is if Ava has to leave.

Once she has calmed down I place the letter on the counter. I notice that there's more than one letter here.

I glance at Ava, "May I?"

She nods, "Please do. Perhaps you could have some advice on the situation?"

Once I've read through the letter I cannot help but feel the butterflies in my stomach.

Maxwell and I will most definitely end up together.

I place the letters on the counter.

Maxwell returns a few days before the Royal Games.

Perhaps, I'll allow Ava to enjoy her last event at the castle.

Such a shame.