TWENTY TWO

AVA'S POV

My eyes scan the letters and guilt immediately rushes through my veins.

How did he get these?

I glance up at him, teary eyed, "How did you even get these?"

He rolls his eyes, "That is not important. What matters now is that you lied to me! Ava, I poured my heart and soul out to you and this is how you thank me? I feel like such an imbecile!"

I vigorously shake my head, "No! Look, for the longest time I was so indecisive about you and Ross. Maxwell, it's you that I want! No one else but y-"

He cuts me off, "I was going to propose to you tonight, but that's not going to happen. Look, I understand that your Father is ill, I will make sure to take care of his medical finances. I know you were just doing this for your family. I'll give you a big cheque. Fianaces aside, I want you out of the castle right now. You will no longer be welcomed here. Goodbye, Miss Montgomery."

With that said he slams the door.

I break down into loud sobs.

What have I done?

Lorelai rushes inside, concern etched all over her features.

She asks no questions, but instead she helps me pack my bags.

As soon as I have packed up my bags she turns to me, tears streaming down her face.

"It has been a pleasure to serve you, Ava-Lane. I will miss you dearly."

I immediately pull her into my embrace.

Once I let go the guards take my bags.

I am led outside into the main dining hall where the King and Queen stare at me in shock and sympathy.

Veronica walks up to me before sighing,     "You should really pack away personal things in a more hidden area."

I gasp, "You did this to me?"

She shrugs, "I wanted true love. Now I have it."

I shake my head, Maxwell comes into view.

Immediately I am out of breathe. My tears stream effortlessly down my cheeks.

I watch Maxwell tear up before turning his back towards me.

Goodbye, Max.

MAX'S POV

I feel my tears threatening to spill.

So I look away and immediately wipe them away.

I watch through the glass window as Ava departs from the castle, for good.

Why do I feel like I've made a huge mistake?

My Father clears his throat which causes me to turn around.

"The decision has been made. Miss Walsh and my son will be getting married. Let the preparations begin!"

Veronica smiles and immediately plants a gentle kiss to my cheek, "Ahh Maxwell, my love. I am honoured to be your wife."

I furrow my eyebrows, "I haven't even proposed yet."

She smirks, "You do not have a lot of options, my dear."

AVA'S POV

As soon as I arrive back home, my Mother and Kate immediately engulf me into a warm embrace.

I break down into a sob, I've missed them so dearly.

After what seems like an eternity and a half my Mother pulls away and frowns.

"Come my dear, it's time to see your Father."

I nod as she leads the way to where my Father is.

As soon as I enter the room, my heart sinks.

My Father is as pail as a ghost and as fragile as a newborn baby.

I sniffle as I bite back the tears, "Father."

His eyes flutter open, my heart breaks more as I see how fatigued he is.

"Ava? Ava! Is that really you?"

I kneel down beside him, "Yes, Father."

He caresses my hair as I begin to sob into his sheets.

"Shhhh. Please my dear, do not waste your tears on me. I know that if I go, I have lived a life with no regrets. I'm ready."

I shake my head, "No! Father please! Do not speak of such things!"

My Father clears his throat, "Dear, please excuse Ava and I."

I hear the door closing behind my Mother and Kate.

My Father attempts to re-adjust himself.

"Ava, as much as I am so happy to see you. What happened that you had to leave the castle?"

I frown and update my Father on all that had happened.

He blinks, "You wanted my blessing before you fully pursued Maxwell?"

I frown and nod, "You were one of the main reasons as to why I could not fully commit to him. Nevermind the fact that Ross kept throwing that you gave him upir blessing card at me."

My Father sighs and shakes his head.

"Well regardless, Ross still has my blessing if you wish to marry him."

I sigh, "Do I even have a choice? I marry him and that's that."

My Father raises his eyebrows, "Since when were you the type to just confirm to society's standards? Ava, you do have a choice. Always. It's up to you what choice you make."

I sigh and nod, "Perhaps I'm just selfish, but the only person on my mind right now is Maxwell. I want to be with him. I know it's probably to late. I am so foolish! He was going to propose to me and I just messed everything up."

My Father nods, "It's clear to me that you really love him. The only thing that is truly stopping you from loving the Prince, is you."