09 | Archer

CURRENT TIMELINE

I jerk as another fresh wave of pain shoots through my body, my teeth grinding together, arms shaking with the effort it was taking to push myself up from the ground.

Grunting, I hit the concrete again as the shock flashes through my body like lightning, my teeth grinding so hard an ache is beginning in my jaw.

The pain suddenly stops and I fall to the ground, sweat coating my forehead like a layer of paint.

The scratching of a pen on paper is the only noise besides my laboured breathing, the person watching my torture humming under their breath.

Clicking the top of the pen, they lift their eyes, regarding me with the eyes of a professional.

I want to rip them out.

The Doctor, a different one then the first looks at the dial in her lap and checks her notes.

"Okay, I think what we'll try next is a higher setting and then during the pain, we'll administer the drugs and you can tell me what is happening, okay?"

"Fuck. You." I grind out.

The woman only hums, flipping the dial halfway and the pain is instantaneous, ripping my lungs of their next breath as my body locks up tight, tense with pain.

She stands from her spot on the stool, her heel clicking closer before she crouches down, injecting the drug in me but nothing happens, the pain still washing over me with a vengeance.

"Hmm, no reaction." She reaches back, grabbing her phone and hitting the screen. "Patient shows no signs of improvement from drug injection," she leans forward, glancing into my eyes, "Pupils enlarged."

She stands back up, backing away from me and turning off the shock device.

I relax, my cheek hitting the ground with a thud, the cool concrete soothing on my heated skin.

After checking over her notes, she walks for the door, leaving me alone in the concrete room, my body exhausted and my own blood coating my hands from their other methods of inducing pain.

Basking in the blessed silence, even if it has been used as a tool against my team and I for the past few weeks, was welcoming. The silence just shy of being mentally taxing. It was the type of silence that made sense. Being in the glass rooms, that was a silence I dreaded, sometimes I couldn't even trust my own thoughts. If it wasn't for the daily sessions with these guys, I'm afraid of how my brains would be turned against me.

I push from the floor, staggering to a seated position, feeling the sweat and blood on me, knowing they'll be here for me soon, and they'll take me back to the room that was mine, take me to see Holland.

I know she will be out of her mind, not knowing where I am, I've been gone at-least a few hours now, I think.

Holland popped into my head and I let it fall back to rest against the wall, tracing her face in my minds eye. The exhaustion that was shadowing her, her eyes alway tired, her body seeming to drag behind her. She was worried.

They were all worried. But I knew she blamed herself, but this wasn't her fault.

I know that she is strong, but I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. She had been looking more tired every day, more exhausted. Whatever was in these drugs, they were not reacting well with her. I just had to watch her get worse every day and it was killing me that I couldn't help.

That in itself was worse than the pain they were inflicting on me. None of it mattered as much as her.

I wish I could say that to her and she'd be able to hear it, I wish I could just tell her I love her.

My head falls forward again as the door squeaks open, two marching agents walking in and hoisting me off the ground, me legs barely stabilising under me before we begin walking out, taking me back to my glass cage, walking past rows and rows and rows of glass rooms, many occupied until we reached mine.

I had underestimated Samael. It wasn't something I was proud to admit. But whatever was happening here. It was worse then we ever thought.

My door slammed behind me as they locked me in once more and I walked straight for the walk separating Holland from me, tapping the glass.

Relief speared me in the heart as she comes into view.