Chapter 12

Stephanie was an ever-smiling rainbow. She and her family often called me to their place for stay overs. They were like family to me. Stephanie's dad was my father figure because I had never known my own father. Stephanie's parents treated me like their own child.

However, her parents often went on business trips so sometimes she and her brother Brian stayed over at my place. But if it was for more than a month Stephanie's aunt came to look after them. From what I heard Stephanie's mom Mrs. May Crimson came from a poor background and fell in love with Mr. Tom. So it was basically like a boon for Teresa's mother's family. Aunt May became Tom's secretary and both would never leave each other's sides. Even for the sake of their own kids. 

They were good-hearted people. Just that they were ignorant of their children. 

Stephanie's aunt's name was Mrs. Bats. Tall, stately in figure and gorgeous. I've met her occasionally. 

Whenever Stephanie's parents went on trips, she used to get homesick and would not appear in school for a day or two. Her brother did though. But whenever I would see her, her arms would be covered in slight bruises. If I asked her, she would tell me she got into a fight with Brian.

Now here's the thing.

Brian was two years younger than Stephanie and the most gentle human I've ever seen. He used to think the world of his sister. He never even hurt a bloody fly. Even if he did, he would go ask the fly- Hey you alright there?

Yet I was small and not much of a Sherlock so I believed my friend. The worst part is that she always kept smiling. Smiling happily and never grimacing. Ever. I only found out the truth two whole years later.

As usual, Stephanie's parents were away. But for 4 months. During this time, Stephanie once did not come to school for three days straight. Since she had a tendency of falling sick so I decided to give her a visit. 

Her house is situated in a lonesome place. There is no other house there. Nothing. It's all empty.

When I reached her house, I heard screaming. Not the ones we hear in our daily lives. Not of fear even. Not the ones we hear when children are holding grudges. Not when girls are going through their monthly periods.

They were the screams of pain. Of help. And I was very scared. I immediately ran inside the house to witness something that still haunts me to this day. 

Her aunt was there. With a belt. And Stephanie was on the floor. Crying. Her body shook vigorously. I saw Mrs. Bats bring the belt down on her back and Stephanie screamed again. There was no sign of blood. Perhaps her aunt was careful to not draw any but the scream itself made my skin crawl. 

I stood there in the open watching everything. No one noticed me. Stephanie did, after some time. She only whispered two words-" Please go"

Even though I could not hear them, I read her lips. And like a coward I ran. I only ran until I was out of the gate where I sat down crying as much as my eyes would allow. There was nothing more to do. I realized that even in that haphazard condition she protected me. She was scared her aunt might do something to me if she saw I had seen her in the act. 

Later in the evening when the screams had died down, I gathered myself and knocked on the door, acting as if I never saw the heinous act performed in front of me. Her aunt should probably receive an Oscar for the amount of acting she does. She was all smiles. Literally. 

When I reached Stephanie's room I saw her curled up in a blanket staring blankly into nothingness. Her aunt never even came up to warn Stephanie into not saying anything at all. Guess she had already been threatened by that witch. 

I washed Stephanie's wounds and helped her into neat clothes.Her back was the most affected part. Red, blue and black. All wounded. Some had a little blood on them but every other lash seemed calculated and................practiced. We sat on the bed with Stephanie crying in my arms and me trying to be braver for her. That day was the first time I had seen her cry and I hated it.

My friend returned to me the next day. Smiling again. She acted so happy that my heart went out to her. 

It was then that I cam to the conclusion that the sickness was just an excuse to recover from the severe beatings which became harsher day by day. Her aunt has an illness. She gets angry very fast and no one knew about it but Stephanie had it all figured out. She thought her parents would never understand so she never told them. 

She had even tried to call them and tell them about her aunt but was found out. And that's how she had ended up with the belt. That's how I came to know what was going on.

*

"After that she became scared of belts and never wore any."

Marilene took a deep breath. She was trying her best to hold herself together.

She had not even started as to what broke her dearest and sweetest friend. What actually made her lose faith in that tiny inkling of hope and happiness.

Chris had listened intently all this while and did not interrupt even once. He was actually a bit shocked as some of the loose ends were tying up, slowly.

"What happened after that?", he demanded from her. School or not he had to hear everything from Marilene right at that moment. 

Marilene smiled sadly and continued.

*****

A/N :

To be continued. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!