Chapter 41

"Stephanie Crimson has murdered her parents", the defendant announced.

A silence fell over the court.

Chris and Marilene just stared at the defendant in disbelief.

Where the heck did that come from?

Stephanie's face was emotionless. There was not a hint of what she was thinking portrayed on her face. 

By the looks of  their lawyer it was the right thing to do.

"And how did you just come up with such an amazing story? Without any evidence if may I add", their lawyer, Mr Rankin said.

"Angela's testimony", the defendant countered. 

The lawyer loosened his tie with a smirk on his face. 

"So you are asking the Honorable Judges to convict my client based on the words of a schizophrenic patient?", he asked.

The defendant had no words to answer that. His vocabulary was limited. The lawyer simply looked at him as if he were some clown.

"No cockiness in the court Mr.Rankin", suddenly one of the judges spoke up.

Mr.Rankin lifted his hands up in the air.

"I'm sorry but this is just baseless. My client did no such work because she  never had any motive to do so. On the other hand, we have never heard any words of repentance from the suspect Ms. Angela Bats", he explained.

The Judges panel discussed something among themselves. There were certain murmurs and occasionally nodding of the head.

"Any last words defendant?", one of them asked.

The defending lawyer got up and addressed the entire court.

"My client Angela Bats has undergone a lot of abuse in her younger days leading to her schizophrenic condition. She did abuse her niece, the accuser Stephanie Crimson, but DID NOT attempt to murder. Nor did she have any hand in the murder of Brian,May and Tim Crimson. I hope you make a proper judgement."

And saying so, he sat down.

"Accuser, any last words?"

"Yes my lord!", Mr. Rankin said.

He stood in the middle of the court. This action itself resonated a power everywhere. Chris smiled. He was right in choosing his uncle as the lawyer.

"My client Stephanie Crimson tried to live a peaceful life and have a quiet childhood. She was abused and threatened everytime. She was found convulsing in her pregnant state due to all the things that she had to undergo. The scars on her face and body prove that. When the suspect Angela Bats did not receive a share of the property on which she had no right she murdered her parents and later her brother and also attempted to kill Stephanie, Nathan and Chris."

He stopped and looked at Angela with eyes of pure distaste and hatred. He had always been a man who hated domestic violence.

"I appeal to the Judges to not treat this matter simply and to rightfully convict the suspect with at least seven years of prison time. I rest my case here"

The Judge in the centre banged his hammer on the table and dismissed the court for a thirty minute break.

The people, press and the judges left the court.

Mr.Rankin sat with Stephanie and Chris in the mess. He looked a lot like Chris' father being his youngest and wisest brother.

Mr.Rankin aka Uncle Jon was the only other member of the house who hadn't blamed him for his father's death. A person who didn't talk or smile much, and yet closer to home than anyone else.

Currently Chris and Stephanie were sitting together with him. Marilene was pulled away by Steve because she had been gawking at Mr.Rankin the entire time.

"So", Mr.Rankin said kindly to Stephanie. "I'm sure everything will be alright. There are no evidences against you so it's a win for us anyway."

Stephanie was fidgeting with her fingers.

"Are ..... are you sure?", she asked.

"Yes"

Chris sighed and sat back.

"What are you sighing for pighead?", Mr.Rankin calmly addressed Chris.

"What did I do?", Chris exclaimed.

"Why did you leave out the fact that you were stabbed until I recalled the event for you? Or was it not too painful?", he said angrily.

Chris suddenly felt his face burn as he winced at the memory. But Stephanie was smiling a bit.

"I..I forgot", he muttered.

*

Thirty minutes later, they were back in the court and sitting with the Judges in the court. The main Judge in the centre stood up.

He was a tall fat man with a big white beard. He would have passed the Dumbledore vibe check had he not been so dark. 

"In the light of everything that we have witnessed and heard in this court", he spoke, his deep voice resonating loudly in the silence. "We hereby sentence Ms.Angela Bats to six years of imprisonment and five extra years on parole. She will be receiving medical attention throughout her time spent in the prison -"

Stephanie was giddy in happiness.

YES!

"- Meanwhile I will hand over the case on the deaths of Mr. Tim and Mrs.May Crimson to be reopened by Detective Jake Walker."

Wait what?! 

The decision was made.

The hammer was struck down.

And the court was dismissed.

*****

Mr.Rankin looks just too good in my head ><