Chapter Forty

When the sun rose the next day, Aurora was glad to be back at the sanctuary. She had almost forgotten all that had passed the previous day. Of course, if there was one thing that Galavers didn't do, however, it was forgetting. Aurora decided to spend some time outside, so she wandered into the forest and began to focus her mind. She could feel it more than she had the previous times, then. Someone was trying to get through to her. She could hear someone saying "Hello," for a while, and then felt cold water on her skin, before her eyes fluttered open and she realised she was metres off the ground. Her eyes widened a little when she discovered that it had in fact been Mars who had said that, and been the one to awaken her. His hand was motioned towards her.

"Did you just use your water ability on me?" she wondered.

"I was concerned...you were sort of just floating there," he told her then.

She allowed herself time to return to the ground before turning to Mars.

"Are you alright?" he asked her.

"I think so...I guess that as my abilities grow stronger my other ones are becoming the same way," Aurora thought aloud.

Aurora took a moment to ground herself, looking towards the sky as it became greyer. They were approaching November now, and the amber leaves were beginning to fall from the bronze branches of the trees around them.

She was unsure of why but she did think about Galaveri for a moment. The weather there had remained fairly consistent.

"I think I should head back inside," Aurora said.

Mars nodded.

"That's a good idea. We don't want you floating too far away," he joked.

Aurora and Mars both returned to the base, and Aurora wandered down the hall before finding the door to Peia's office open. She decided to step inside and Peia looked towards her with a pleasant smile.

"Hey Aura. Happy birthday," Peia said to her then.

"How did you know?" Aurora asked her.

"The chip that was rescued a while ago...it had your calendar on it. The makeshift one you made," she stated.

"How did you know it was-"

"It said Aurora's calendar on it. So, fairly obvious. You're nineteen today!" she exclaimed.

"How did you-"

"I converted Galaverian time to Earth time. Simple," Peia said, before giving Aurora an apologetic expression for talking over her. 

"Thank you, Peia," Aurora replied then with a smile.

Peia stood up from her desk then as she moved over to Aurora. Aurora was still getting used to the fact that she was about five inches taller than her. Without heels.

Aurora was unsure of what her next move was going to be but Peia just hugged her, then.

"I want to be friends with you, Aura. I know we didn't exactly get off on the right track but..."

"I suppose it works," Aurora said with a slight smirk.

Peia drew away from the hug to meet Aurora's gaze.

"You do?"

Aurora nodded.

"Of course. This is my family now. I care about every one of you," she said with a sincere smile.

Peia beamed right back at her, relieved that there were no more tensions in the air between the two of them.

Soon after th at, Aurora allowed Peia to get on with some work as she went to talk to Nova.