Backstory

"PUSH A LITTLE harder, LilyAnne!" the nurse beside her encouraged.

"Don't bloody tell me what to do when I am giving birth!"

Sherlock Holmes, who was sitting beside his girlfriend in the chair, had to force a chuckle back as she yelled that. He certainly did love a feisty woman- something he took pride in, since that meant that she had no problem speaking for herself or demanding respect.

"You're just about there, LilyAnne," the nurse said.

A few moments later, the child was born, crying as loudly as possible. Sherlock cringed a bit, but then stiffened his back when LilyAnne glared over at him.

So he smiled, and moved to sit beside his girlfriend. "We're parents, Annie."

"Yeah..." she smiled, almost in a melancholy way. "You are."

Sherlock, with all his wit and might, had no idea what she meant by this. He had no clue, and honestly, he wished he had.

The monitor that showed LilyAnne's pulse went flat and blared the terribly monotonous sound that Sherlock was dreading. She was dead. She knew that she wouldn't survive the birth and didn't tell him until after. However, he did not have the capacity to feel angry, and he hated being sad: so he shut his emotions off completely.

"Sir, we're going to need you to name her," a shy nurse said whilst handing him a piece of paper.

Nodding, he filled it out in his scribbly hand writing. "Athena Noelle Holmes. Put her up for adoption."

He didn't say anything else on the matter, he simply looked down at the nurse- who, by her posture and clenched jaw, looked rather uncomfortable and indignant- and left in a flourish.

That child, his child, would be way too much like LilyAnne for his liking. Blond hair, blue eyes- the lot of it; just like her.

So he went home, packed up his things, and headed to London, where, fourteen years later, he'd get a surprise visit from the one and only Athena Noelle Holmes herself.

Neither of them were ready for the storm of change and wonder and adrenaline that blew them away after their reunion.