Chapter 9: Zev the Candy Man

A/N: 05.11.2020

As many of you may have noticed, I changed the cover of the book. We all knew it was going to happen eventually :") how long do you think before I make another one? 😂

But on a real note, what do you think of the cover? I think the quirkiness of holding two flowers against one's face fits our baby Dandelion quite well 💅

🌻🌻🌻

Dear,

This is the first time I'm writing in my journal since I've arrived in the Big City. It's been a little over a week since university started. So far, my first few classes have been great. The philosophy professor is an old, strict man, but he's very wise. He's so wise that we sometimes can't understand him. I don't think anyone in this lifetime can.

It's lunchtime now, and I'm writing in my journal to use as an excuse so that I don't have to finish my sandwich. Everything has been going well, but my stomach is still not cooperating. I'm trying, though, I really am.

Parker has kept his promise. It's been a week since he's stopped making love. I know this because I haven't heard any banging or moaning since. I was worried at first. Freddy had told me that Parker had commitment problems ever since his ex-boyfriend passed away, so I wasn't sure if Parker would keep his promise. But he did, and I felt guilty for doubting him. I apologized to him to morning when I saw him in the parking lot. He scowled and said it was "too early for this sh*t", and walked back into the building. He's been more agitated and aggressive since he stopped making love. Freddy said not to mind him, but I know that deep down, he's worried too.

I always thought that there was something sad about Parker. He carried grief in his dark eyes, and exhaustion underneath them. I was certain he still felt deeply for his ex-boyfriend, and that he was still mourning in his own way.

Freddy told me that it was the only serious relationship Parker had ever had, and that it was the only time he'd seen him truly happy. He was never the same after the death. Drinking, smoking, mood swings, and empty sex. When I asked how he had died, Freddy didn't answer, but I could tell that whatever the reason was, it saddened him deeply as well.

Freddy and I often go home together which gives us lots of time to talk. I'm happy that I'm able to use the word 'home'. Even though it's only a temporary place to live, there's something heartwarming about a place you can call yours.

The Dark Thoughts haven't been bothering me for now. Though, I still feel lonely. It's strange how there are over seven billion people on Earth, and yet, we feel alone. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I'm going to try and finish my sandwich. I'll write again soon.

Yours truly

I closed my journal and carefully put it inside my bag. I couldn't finish my sandwich, so I put it in a plastic zip lock before heading to class. As I walked down the hall, I saw Parker flirting with a brown-haired girl, one that I've never seen him with before.

I wanted to wave at him, but I stopped in my steps when he leaned forward to kiss the girl. It wasn't a peck on the lips, but an adult kiss, and when I saw the pink color of Parker's tongue enter her mouth, and the way he placed his hand against her cheek while the other wandered too far down her back, I immediately felt sick. And yet, as much as it bothered me, I couldn't look away.

Parker's eyes then met mine, and I felt an electric shock shoot down my spine from the intensity of his gaze. His brows furrowed, and I began to panic.