Six

I awake to aching pain all over my body. I find myself staring at the wooden ceiling above me. I recall walking to a door to exit Levi's office.

Yet, I don't remember anything about staring at a ceiling or being on a bed. With a soft groan I slowly sit up, my head still pounding away. I take a look around and see quite a few vacant beds across the room and to my right.

With the late afternoon sun beaming through the windows, I realized I was in one of the Medical Center's rooms. I frown at the sight, I don't remember getting here though.

"Finally awake?"

I jolt to the sound of someone's throaty voice. I look to my left to see Levi sitting on a wooden stool with his arms crossed. A visible frown was plastered on his lips while his eyes seems a little hazy.

I was certain he was asleep and only woken up a few moments ago. His presence confused me even more. But the more I tried to think, the more painful it became.

"What happened?" I finally ask while placing my fingers over my right temple. "How did I end up here?"

"You passed out in my office," he replies cooly. I quirk up a brow, I don't recall any of that.

"I did?" He nods before standing with a sigh. He doesn't bother responding for the door across the room opens.

"Oh good, Emma, you're up." I stare at a small woman with short, brownish hair walk towards me with a sweet smile.

"Petra?" I breathe in confusion.

I watch her with puzzled eyes as she makes her way to Levi's side but, also keeping that small space between them. I couldn't help but notice the giddy smile she held as she stood by him and had to resist to visibly bristle at the sight.

"Why are you here?" I ask in the softest way possible.

"To check and see if you're alright," she replies cheerfully. "I've been looking after you ever since Captain Levi carried you here."

I casted Levi a startled gaze but, he simply turns away with a small, Tch. Questions seep at the back of my mind. Her use of past tense could've meant hours ago or days. But judging by Levi's black button shirt and black slacks, I feared the worst. I shake my head as if it'll unjumble all my thoughts.

"He carried me--Wait how long have I been here?"

"Three days."

I stare at Petra in shock. My eyes widening at the information. My head couldn't wrap around it. I was out that long?

"Thre--Three days?" I blink rapidly. I release a scoff of disbelief. "Then that means I missed--"

"Yes. You missed yesterday's meeting," Levi answers, cutting me off. He turns back around with the same frown upon his face. I lock my gaze with his and try to figure out what he's thinking. He showed no emotion through his eyes.

"Well, being unconscious for a few days isn't surprising," Petra attempts to assure me as she places a hand over my forehead. "You over-exerted yourself."

I look away from the Captain to his devoted solider. She was checking me to see if I showed any symptoms for over-exhaustion. When she pulls her hand away from me, a small smile shows up on her face.

"You're not physically incapable, Emma," she says. "Even after that fall you took, it was only a mild-concussion."

I then realized the loud thud I heard before very thing turned black was me. Everything seemed so fuzzy when I tried to remember. I accidentally wince at the heaviness of my head and Petra hadn't failed to notice.