♛Seventy Two

Finding that house was easier than I'd anticipated. The exterior seemed undisturbed, normal even. I clicked my tongue, of course they would pick to hide here. No one would suspect a murderer and his accomplices occupying this building.

It gave off a pleasant, quiet vibe. But I knew there was something darker beneath that feeling. The things that were committed here were far from pleasant.

I wasn't going to take any risks. I had four MPs flank the exterior wall. They each hold their own firearm, watching the front door with such concentration.

They wouldn't barge in till I gave the go-ahead. I wouldn't—at least, not yet. I analyze our surroundings once more.

True, it was quiet here but it seemed to be too quiet. It riled the cautious voice inside my head. Don't they realize

Arron had been gone for a while? Wouldn't they suspect we would've figured out their hideout sooner or later? I clicked my tongue, I despised this cautious feeling.

"Hey, Levi. . ." Hanji steps besides me with her eyes trained on the door. She seemed to get antsier the more she stood here. "Did Arron tell you why Edward targeted Emma?"

I heave out a sigh, "Yeah, and I told you. To avenge Chris."

"I get that but, why?" She ponders. "He's about three years younger than Chris and joined the Scouts only a few months ago. Arron and Booker known Chris for years, and Edward hasn't. He'd shown no interest in him till he heard about Emma's mission. So—why?"

I roll my eyes, this was utterly ridiculous. What's the importance of this information? We're about to rescue Emma and detain that lunatic asshole. That should be the least of her worries right now.

"You're really going to ask me that now?" I hiss while sending her a look. "We got bigger problems to handle if you hadn't noticed."

Hanji shakes her head, not once sparing me a glance. "I just—don't like this eerie feeling. Something's off."

"Tch." I look back at the house. Clearly.

We're in front of their hideout and they had yet to notice our presence. But who the hell cares? We're here now so our only option is to push forward.

"Stay out here if you want, Four-Eyes," I grumble. "I'm going in." I make my advance, ignoring Hanji's hasty whisper-shouts for me to wait.

I was done waiting. Done wasting time when each second could mean the difference between life and death for Emma. Done with giving Edward the satisfaction of hurting her.

Adrenaline began to overpower me, making all my sense a bit stronger. I grip my fists, "Advance!"

The MPs don't need to be told twice for they burst through the door, firearms raised in many directions.

"Edward Cam and Booker Harlow, you're under arrest for the kidnapping of Emma Wolfram and the murders of five victims!" One officer yelled. When I entered I expected some sort of resistance, maybe an angry shout from either of them.

But there was nothing. An eerie silence had greeted us instead. Nobody was here.

My heart pounded in my ears as I click my tongue. "Search the house," I growl. "Don't leave a single corner unchecked."

With a hasty, yes sir, they rush about the house. I watch with fire burning in my eyes, why weren't they here? Did they truly know we were coming?

Was Arron a ploy so they could escape? How could they possibly know we would arrive? I gritted my teeth, if they were to take Emma with them—

"Levi!" Hanji rushes in and I turn to face her.