Thirty Four

I was back in my office the next day and I wasn't pleased. It was only one day that I was gone and I was already behind. I sigh loudly at the sight of stacked papers atop my desk.

Plopping down on my chair I toss the newspaper on to the wooden surface. I learned of a third murder occurring the night I got wasted. Of course, I was aware of the news but wasn't aware of who died.

I was damned by the press who gave little to no information as always. No name but gender and what regiment they worked in was given. I pour myself into the newspaper once more.

It was a female again who also was a Scout. I shake my head in disapproval. If she died two days ago then her reports shouldn't have been written this week.

Glancing back to the stacked papers, I had no choice but to go over them. However, this was going against the work I was required to do. If Erwin or maybe Mike showed up here unexpected I wouldn't be surprised if I was sentenced to a grueling a punishment.

Erwin's order to focus solely on my work rings in my head. But my proclamation towards Levi rings as well. Both are important but I could only do one.

I shake my head with a stand, finding the motive of these killings are my top priority. I grab the newspaper as well as the stack of reports given to me last week and this week. I had to go through each paper, read each name, then single out the one that's missing.

Placing the papers upon the coffee table I situate myself on the couch. This would take me at least two hours tops, it would be wise if I start now.

\/\/\/\/\/

It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Despite ruling out all male Scouts I was surprised with the amount of women who joined this regiment. It was twice the amount during the time I became a Scout myself.

Both pride and surprise swirls within me. Reading over yet another name a small rapping comes at my door.

"Name and business?" I question lamely. I cross out the name and go to the next.

"Levi. I've got something to tell you."

It took me only a moment to murmur the word, enter. But when I hear the door open everything inside me starts to tighten. My grip on the paper, my stomach, and my chest.

Cold sweat runs down the back of my neck. I try to feign my nervousness with a loud cough.

"What do you need to tell me?" I question curtly. I don't even spare him a glance.

Yesterday, I had locked myself in my room and listened to him tidy up my apartment. He didn't stay for long like I imagined. Once he finished cleaning he left.

Embarrassed as I still was for my drunken actions I do my best to look uninterested when I sense his presence nearby.

"Bonding exercise," I listen to him reply. "Hanji says we have to be at training grounds in ten."

I nod mindlessly. I was betting my money she wanted us to run laps together with our hands tied together or something eviler than that. Knowing how the last exercise went I have no doubt in my mind she would try harder. Either way, I wasn't looking forward to it.

"What are you doing?" Levi questions after a while. I set one paper aside and grab another.

"Looking through reports," I answer. "Need to see who was killed two nights ago."

So far, I was coming up empty-handed. I knew I would find the name but it was taking longer than I wished. These writings were starting to look the same.