12

There was no way Harry could have seen it coming. He still couldn't believe it had happened. He didn't want to believe it. But that didn't stop things from falling apart....

Harry woke on Monday morning in good spirits. He had spent the previous day completing his homework (thanks to Draco being an excellent tutor.) And then he'd checked in with Sirius, who was happily anticipating when Harry would be finally be able to live with him.

Harry got dressed, and went down to breakfast. The ceiling overhead was a beautiful blue, not a cloud in the sky. Harry sat at his House table and tucked into some pancakes and scrambled eggs. When he saw Draco enter the Great Hall, Harry waved, and Draco waved back.

It was looking to be a good day. No Potions. No Defense Against the Dark Arts. And Ron was sitting at Harry's side like old times. They were discussing the crazy predictions they'd made up for Divination, when the owls came flying in with that day's mail.

Harry was shocked when four owls landed in front of him, each with a bundle of letters. Harry accepted the letters, and the owls flew off.

"Who've you been writing to you?" Ron asked.

"No one," Harry said surprised.

Ron reached over and opened one of the letters. He scanned it, his eyes widening in shock.

"Harry, someone believes you!"

"What?"

Ron opened another letter. "This one too!"

Harry opened one, and saw that the words in the letter were made from cut outs of a magazine. But it had a similar message to the other two letters Ron had opened: I've always believed You-Know-Who would come back. Good job for sticking to your story. You're very brave!

Brave? But why?

"Oh, this one is still convinced you're a headcase." Ron said. "Well, you can't please them all."

"But why is this happening now?"

Hermione approached them, her face beaming. "Oh, Harry! Isn't this marvelous?!"

"Er... Maybe....? Do you know something about this?" Harry showed her the letter.

"They're fan letters! People believe you, now that your story's been put out there!"

"My story?"

"About what happened last June! It's been published in The Quibbler!" Hermione said, pushing aside some of the letters to make room for her textbook.

Harry had just processed what she'd said, when a shadow loomed over them.

"Hem, hem!"

Harry turned around and saw Umbridge looking at them, her face twisted with hatred.

"And what do we have here?" She asked in her girlish voice.

"Just letters," Hermione answered her.

Umbridge read one of them. "Been spreading more lies, have we, Mr. Potter?"

"No." Harry said quickly.

"Hmm... Another detention I think will do the trick." Umbridge smiled wickedly. "Tonight, 6:00. Don't be late."