32

Albus Apparated back to the Hogwarts gates. He clutched his heart, as it seized up. He took a few breaths, waiting for the pain to pass, before unlocking the gates and walking slowly to the castle.

The curse from the Gaunt Ring had spread from his hand and was close to his heart. Thanks to Severus's potions, Albus had been able to keep the curse from reaching his heart. However, that meant that it attacked the rest of his body. His arm and chest were blackened and dead. He didn't have much time left.

Albus needed to work fast if he was going to gain the admiration he so desperately wanted before he died.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

Harry stumbled on the grass and Tom steadied him.

"Are you alright?" Tom asked.

"Y-yes." Harry said, breathing hard. "C-can you see it? The house?"

"No. Are you sure this is the right place? I just see a bunch of woods."

"It is," Harry said. "Just follow me."

And Harry walked forward. Tom heard a gate creek open, and they went up a pair of invisible steps. Harry knocked on the air. Then Tom followed Harry into a cozy sitting room.

There was a thundering of feet down the stairs, and Sirius and Remus ran in, both with their wands raised.

"Harry!" Sirius exclaimed. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you at Hogwarts? What happened to you?"

"The plan didn't work," Harry told them. "Dumbledore knows...."

"Come and sit down," Remus said, guiding Harry to the couch. He Accio-ed some chocolate from the kitchen, and made sure Harry ate a large chunk of it.

"He's going to be in shock for a bit," Tom said, watching Harry with a concerned expression. "Dumbledore is going to die. I am going to kill him."

Harry stood up, stuffing the rest of the chocolate into his mouth. "I'm coming too!"

"No, you're not!" Three voices said at once.

Tom said, "You're staying here, Harry. You need to rest! The potion needs to leave your system, and only sleep will cure that!"

"I said I wanted to kill him!" Harry said passionately. "He killed my mum! And he's hurt me! I want to see the look on his face when he dies!"

Sirius sighed at the determined look on Harry's face. "Harry, you're staying here and you're going to rest."

Harry sat back down on the couch. "Fine."

Tom, Sirius, and Remus left the house, making sure to cast more protective charms around it, before they Apparated to Hogwarts.

Harry uncrossed his fingers, and started counting.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

Albus cast a Sonorus spell and said, "Attention students and professors! Please gather in the Great Hall immediately! Attention students and professors! Please gather in the Great Hall immediately!"