24

AN: Trigger warning: There is a scene later on in the chapter that involves abuse and homophobia.
If this is triggering to you, Dear Reader, please feel free to skip over it!
(I've marked where it is. Look for the "Ω" and "•")
_______________

Harry hurried back to his Common Room and up to his dormitory. He'd only just made it, because three minutes later, Ron came in with his merchandise from Hogsmeade.

"Harry!" Ron said, moving aside Harry's curtains. "You won't believe what Hermione and I saw!"

"What?" Harry asked, sitting up and putting his glasses back on.

"Katie's been cursed! She touched this necklace, and she was screaming in the air— It was horrible!"

"WHAT?!" Harry yelled. "Where is she now? Will she be okay?"

Ron shook his head. "She's been taken to St. Mungo's— Madam Pomfrey isn't able to help her."

"I thought we were supposed to be safe at school...." Harry said, with a frown.

"Yeah, well I guess not," Ron said. "I think Malfoy had something to do with it."

"Why would D- Malfoy have anything to do with cursing Katie?" Harry asked Ron.

"Think about it, Harry. His dad's a Death Eater. He could be one too!"

"He wouldn't...." Harry said faintly.

Ron sighed. "I know you two were friends, Harry, but you have to look past that. No one magically changes."

"But to be a Death Eater?" Harry asked dubious. "That seems a bit extreme."

"Hermione doesn't believe me either," Ron said. "But I think he's definitely up to something. He looked suspicious in The Three Broomsticks."

"When did you see him there?" Harry asked. He hadn't seen Draco until their date.

"He came in a little after you left. Didn't buy anything. Just went towards the back, and then sat with his friends for a few minutes, before leaving again. Alone."

Harry stomach clenched uncomfortably at that.

'No. Draco isn't a Death Eater. He'd have a Dark Mark if he were...'

When Harry pointed this out to Ron, Ron said, "Don't you remember back at Madam Malkin's? Draco yelled at Madam Malkin not to stick a pin somewhere."

"She probably poked him."

"Near his arm?"

Now Harry really felt sick.

"Come on, it's going to be dinner." Ron said.

Harry followed Ron out of the dormitory, and they and Hermione made their way to the Great Hall.

Dinner was a subdued affair, but also full of whispers and gossip. Everyone was wondering why had Katie Bell been attacked. Harry looked across the room at the Slytherin Table, scanning it for Draco. But he was nowhere in sight.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

Harry was in middle of packing his trunk, when a Hogwarts Elf Apparated on his bed.

"Master Dumbledore wishes to see Harry Potter." The Hogwarts Elf squeaked. "And Master Dumbledore's favorite holiday dessert is gingerbread."

"Oh. Alright." Harry said.

The Hogwarts Elf Disapparated, and Harry looked at Ron confused. "I wonder why he wants to see me."