20

August 1, 1996

Draco was lying on his bed, staring into space. There were dark circles under his eyes from not sleeping for the last two nights. He couldn't. Every time he closed his eyes he'd see Fenrir's face and the dungeon ceiling, and he'd relive the bite.

Draco wondered what Harry would do if he found out.

'Run away. He'll never talk to me. I'll never be able to tell him how I feel. I probably won't see him again. There's no way Dumbledore will let me back in. Aunt Bella wouldn't want to risk it getting out I'm a—. Do the other Death Eaters know? What would people at school say? What about Pansy and Blaise and Theo? Can Werewolves even live like wizards?!'

Draco curled into a tight ball, wishing his bed would swallow him up.

Fizzy entered her master's room, with a tray of sandwiches.

"Master Draco should eat something good. Fizzy has made Master Draco turkey sandwiches."

"I'm not hungry." Draco said in a hollow voice.

"Fizzy will leave Master Draco's food here." Fizzy carried the ray to Draco's desk, and then she left the room.

Draco couldn't be a werewolf! It just wasn't possible! There had to be something that could be done about this! But there was no cure to Lycanthropy. And deep down, Draco knew that.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

August 5, 1996

Voldemort called Narcissa and Draco to the drawing room.

"I have a special task for you, Draco." Voldemort said, sitting in an arm chair. "One that I would not trust to many others... I want you to kill Albus Dumbledore."

Draco, who had already been pale from his fear at being called in to see the Dark Lord, felt his face drain of any remaining color it had.

Kill Albus Dumbledore? Sure, he may have thought about seeing the Headmaster snuff it a few times, but Draco wasn't going to be the one to actually kill him.

"Yes, my Lord." Draco said, looking at the ground.

Voldemort said, "Good. I don't care how you do it. But get it done before the end of the school year."

"Yes, my Lord."

And Draco and Narcissa left the room.

When they were a floor above, Narcissa pulled her son into a hug.

"I'm sorry you have to go through this, Dragon. This will be hard, but you will need to succeed."

"I'll do it, Mother." Draco said. "My life can't get any worse than it already is."

As Draco walked off, Narcissa started coming up with a plan to ensure her son didn't die this year.

Up in his room, Draco stared at a picture of Harry. He would have to figure out a way to do what the Dark Lord wished, but also keep Harry safe. Somehow.....

______________
463 Words