Chapter 14

As promised, Karina came by last night, to introduce herself, though she wouldn't reveal what she had in store for today. She was soft-spoken, very understanding while she spoke to me, though it didn't put me at ease.

I was scared, I am scared but I made a promise to myself that I would try.

I lifted myself off of Sterling's chest, glancing down at him while he slept. I had an hour before I start, so I got up, heading into the bathroom to take a shower. I cleared my head while I cleaned myself, mentally preparing for what's coming.

Stepping out of the shower, I grumbled to myself at realizing I forgot clothes. I wrapped the towel around me loosely, ripping the door open just as Sterling raised a hand to knock. I stumbled into him, the loose hold I had on the towel failing me as it fell to the floor revealing my nudity. I should have been angry, or embarrassed, but those emotions that normally came with being naked left me long ago.

I froze on the spot, watching Sterling as his eyes widened, taking me in. I thought he'd look away, or even look disgusted by what he saw, but he did neither. He just stared at me, at my body. Not lustfully, more appreciatively. I know what he saw, I've done well to hide them over time, but now, he's noticing them and that's where a new feeling of insecurity is starting to form.

His eyes darkened as he neared me, going on his knees, tracing the scars with his fingertips. I have a couple, including a very long one going vertically going down the center of my stomach. Unexpectedly, his lips met my flesh and I nearly lost my balance at the butterflies he gave me. He kissed each scar, lightly, so soft I barely felt it. I closed my eyes, allowing him to do what he wanted, knowing he would never do anything harsh to me to make me feel uncomfortable. I should feel uncomfortable, but I just don't. After a few minutes, my eyes started to fill with tears, a few falling, landing on him.

Looking up, and noticing my sadness, Sterling stood, cupping my face in his hands. I wanted to laugh at the situation. My mate is holding my face trying to comfort me because I am suddenly insecure about the scars on my naked body after I dropped my towel.

Quickly, Sterling bent down to pick the towel up, throwing it over my shoulders, covering me before pulling my body against his, letting me silently cry. It's hard to remember where I got some of the scars, I know some are from the men who raped me, some of them not satisfied enough by the torture they already inflicted, wanting more pain to get off on. I didn't tell Sterling that, his sanity was hanging by a thread as it is, but I'm sure he can put two and two together.

"I want to kill every last one of them. I don't know how you survived. You're so strong, too strong." He mumbled into my neck, kissing my mark lightly.

I shivered, pulling him closer if possible, "It's okay."

"No, it's not, not even close." He tells me, refusing to accept what has already happened. With a deep breath, he pulled away not being able to help himself before kissing me. I leaned into him, finding it easier to accept him.

For a few more minutes, we stood in each other's arms, until reality came knocking at the door. Quickly, I dressed, knowing Sterling was still watching me, though I didn't mind it. I threw my hair up in a messy bun, going to the door, opening it to reveal Karina, who smiled brightly.

"Good afternoon, are you ready?" She asked, her hands placed behind her back.

Sterling came to my side, taking hold of my hip boldly. I bit my lip, nodding. I looked up at Sterling who gave me a nod of encouragement.

"Your pack members are in the dining hall right now if you wanted to join while I take Millicent to my room," Karina told him.

He nodded at her, giving me a longing look.