Chapter 27

It was done.

Everyone was notified, everyone knew what needed to be done.

Rowan.

Athena.

Titania.

Myself.

Adelaide, or Xavier rather.

The other parents and I knew what needed to happen next, but I'm not sure if I am ready. On the island, the serum that accelerated Charm's growth was destroyed, but during a phone call with Amaya, she promised she can replicate it with a sample of Charm's blood. We will do to Athena's baby and Titania's what was done to Charm. It seemed wrong, it is wrong, but it has to be done.

We just arrived back home, tired and worn out from all we've learned and what's to come. We aren't ready, none of us are. Charm raced out of the car, excited to return to her home and her room of course.

"Very few can know about what is going to happen, only those we trust can know the truth. I have an idea, a location to send the kids when the time comes, but only I will know since I will design and prep the area." Amaya said.

"You're going to build a safe haven all by yourself?" I asked incredulously.

"It's already built, it's been there for a long time, but everyone who knows of its location is long gone. No parent, no person will ever know. I'm nervous even knowing myself but in order for me to do this, it's the only way."

Thinking back to the video conversation that transpired between us all unnerved me. The plan is already in motion and it's terrifying. I thought I'd have forever with my daughter, but the time I do have will be spent prepping and preparing her for a future that seems dark and unpromising.

"She'll be alright," Sterling told me from the driver's seat, taking my hand.

I was grateful for his optimism, "I wish I believed that."

We exited the car, all of us happy to finally be home and relax for a little bit until everything is ready. In a few weeks, Athena's baby will be born and she will have time to spend with her child before we need to inject her.

Titania made the decision to inject both of her babies seeing how they're twins so that they can grow up together and train side by side. Charm, Fallon, and Ara are around the same age, so they won't need the injections. Evander is too noble, even as a child, to let his mate fight alone so I'm sure he'll be there too when the time comes. Amaya doesn't know if she wants her child to join the fight, but she is contemplating the idea much to Carter's dismay.

I can't help but feel that in time, there will be more children who will fight. I don't know who, but I know there will be.

Sharon stood at my side, watching her daughter run side by side with mine into the home.

"Are you sure you want Fallon mixed up in all of this?" I ask her.

She sighed, "I want her to train and make the choice for herself. I won't force her into anything, though I'm sure she'd never let Charm go anywhere without her. They are best friends."

I nodded, "Okay."

I watched as Sharon walked over to Tarana, the two walking into the house together. It was so strange to see the pair so close in such little time.

"Her mate died when she was just seventeen. They weren't together long, but I've never seen Tarana happier than when she is with Sharon, not since the loss of her mate anyway."

My heart pinched at that new information, I can't even imagine losing Sterling, not without losing a part of myself, but Tarana has handled it well. I had no idea, feeling horrible for not realizing sooner.