Trustworthy

"You and I look about to be the same size. I hope these suit you well." Elena set out a clean white satin nightgown and fresh clothes for the morning.

"I thank you for your kindness. There's not a lot of people left that I can trust."

"I feel bad for you, señorita."

"Why ever for?"

"Not a good pair, those two. Please don't get too entangled with them. They'll leave you heartbroken in the end."

I paused before asking, "Did...William leave you heartbroken?"

"Once. That's what men like him do. They lure you in with promises and pleasure, in my case at least. Once they get the one thing they're looking for...they drop you like they never knew you to begin with."

I didn't know how to respond. It was so hard. 

Was she lying to get back at Ares and William for past wrongs? Were they lying? 

"Thank you. For the heads up."

"Us women have to look out for each other. I don't trust either of them. Especially Ares."

"Because of him and your sister?"

"He has cruel intentions. Intentions that are only good for him. You be careful. I see how he's held you in his sights. One look, that's all it takes sometimes. If you're lucky, maybe you'll go blind before he can sink his teeth into you. My sister was naive, desperate. Perfect target."

I wanted to know what he'd done that was so bad. Like most men, he probably thought with his...you know what. "I'll keep that in mind. Thank you again."

"If you need anything, I'll be in the sala de estar."

I nodded as she gently closed the door behind her. 

The bed looked inviting with new pillows and a soft Spanish quilt. I had a perfect view of the garden below. 

I could see her beneath the rose bushes that entangled, wrapping around each other like vines in a jungle. She cracked open her book and immersed herself in its text. 

This is no time for resting. Not when there's work to do

Daisy, surprisingly, found the urge to sleep in William's bedroom for the evening, so I was left alone. I can't say that I wasn't disappointed, but I could work steadfastly.

I dressed in a soft gown and brushed out my hair. Don't even get me started on the bath I just took; it was utterly divine. 

Elena had set out a plate of Spanish chocolate that was both spicy and sweet. 

I savored the feel of the bristle brush as it glided smoothly down my hair. I sat at the vanity, taking in my appearance. So much had changed since the last time I had looked at myself in the mirror.

My hair was curlier, my skin was darker from the hours in the sun, and my body, although spent, I felt strong. I felt like I could do anything, not just if I put my mind to it. I discovered that Rosalie Greene was a woman who could undergo any trial and come out of it. That was the hope from my recent hardships, at least. I had bruises on my body and my arms.

Brutes. How barbaric.

I pulled out my journal from the drawer; armed with my fountain pen and map, I worked to see all. I wanted to stay on top of everything. 

You never know

That's what my mother would say. You never knew when something would go south when something wouldn't go your way. In the world, things could go great, you trust people, your life is perfect (by your standards), and then that would all change one day.