You Run

"We've already tried that. The most interesting thing you have is lipstick and a random sheet of paper."

"You were rummaging through my things?!"

William rolled his eyes, "Don't sound so wounded. If anyone should be complaining around here, it's me! You tried to convince me I was insane! What were you planning on doing with that ring anyways?"

I will admit I deserved that.

"You Brits are so selfish, always thinking about yourselves."

I didn't deserve that one.

Slamming my hands on the table, I looked him straight in the eye without a hint of remorse, "Better us thinking about ourselves than you Americans with your giant, bulbous heads always thinking that you're better than everyone else!"

"William," Leo shot.

William sat back on his chair.

"Rosie, what is it that you're looking for?"

"The ring. I left the ring at my home."

William threw his hands up.

"It's in a safe place, I can assure you."

"I need a drink." His chair scraped back with a screech as he stomped out of the room.

My head was pounding in pain and frustration; I massaged the sides of my temples to subside the pain.

"Ares, show Rosie to her room, get her a fresh change of clothes." Leo patted me on the shoulder. His skin met with mine.

I realized that the tear in my blouse still exposed my upper chest. I covered myself up, crossing my arms.

Leo took off his sweater and draped it over my shoulders, "You rest now, love. Get dressed, clean yourself up, and we'll bring some food up to you. Whenever you're ready, though, expect us to continue this conversation."

"I'm surprised you'd still talk to me after my 'treachery.'"

"William will cool off in about an hour or so; you don't go fretting about him. Everyone has their reasons for doing the things they do, good or bad. I know you had your reasons."

"The day I fret over William Johnson is the day I've truly lost my sanity."

Leo chuckled and gestured for Ares to help see me out.

Ares put my right arm around his shoulders and held my waist tight to his body.

"I can bloody well take care of myself."

"When you can stand on your own without having to lean against something, then I'll believe that."

I blew a lock of hair out of my eyes. "You better watch your hands, or I'll bust your nose just like I did to that Bert fellow."

Leo snorted as we exited the kitchen.

"How did you lot know I was in trouble anyway?"

"After Bert and his men infiltrated the Lilac Hour Club, we decided to keep a close eye on you, seeing how you stole the ring. Was that all they were after?"

I struggled to get onto the first step of the stairs; even with Ares' help, my legs were still weak.

"You're going to take forever." With ease, he swept me off of my feet.

"When I get better," I swore.

"When you get better, you're going to give us the answers we need. For instance, was the ring all that those men wanted? That was a lot of trouble they started over a little ring."