Epilogue: New Beginnings and New Identities

Two Weeks Later...

"I do hope all is well now."

"Yes. It's nice to be able to get back to work."

"You've had that looked at, right?" Mr. Jackson gestured to my leg along with the healing cuts and bruises on my face.

"Of course. Car accidents can be tricky, but the doctor says I'll be right as rain in no time."

"And what of Mr. Johnson?"

"He gave me his resignation. I heard he plans on moving to Washington D.C. That's all I know, I'm afraid."

The truth was I didn't know where William had gone. He had disappeared early in the morning when we arrived in New York. Among all of us, I know he's been grieving the hardest. I tried to cling to Roger's words, his comforting words that his son had spite for him, not for me.

His head dropped, "That's sad to hear." He brushed off whatever he felt and cleared his throat, "Would you like me to help you?"

I gripped my crutches, "I'll be alright, no need to indulge me. I feel useless as it is. Thank you for allowing Daisy to stay with me."

Daisy licked his hand as he patted her back.

"She's such a well-behaved dog. I'm thinking about getting one of my own. You let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Of course," I grunted as I rose to my feet.

Daisy grabbed my purse and nudged the half-opened door open with her nose.

Damn Ares for having such good aim; my muscle has some damage from where he stabbed me. I felt tinges of pain that prickled and shot up my thigh, reminding me of everything that happened.  I was growing used to the stares. Many people were mainly looking at my cuts and my crutches.

I finally got to my office. I missed the catcalling, though it was never a compliment or something that made women feel respected. It would make me feel more confident and less pitiful.

"How's it coming, Harold?"

"Good, Ms. Stathos. Hello Ms. Daisy! I'm nearly finished."

My name, Elysia Stathos, was painted on my office door.

Elysia Stathos.

It was going to take some getting used to.

"Here you go, Miss," Harold opened the door for me.

"Thank you."

Daisy strut inside, setting my purse down on my desk and walking to her bed. She'd had a rough go of things. Her leg had been broken when she and Jane were on the ship.

She had a little battle of her own that she was fighting. She needed time to recover too.

I stood staring at my bland office, void of life and color, much like myself right now. I had no pictures, no fond memories, no art, nothing.

Jane came in, "Your letters, Ms. Stathos."

I smiled, "Thank you, Jane."

"Let me know if you need anything."

"A bottle of scotch would be nice."

"Later," she winked before she shut the door.

She'll have to help me decorate later on.

I hobbled over to my desk, carefully trying to sit down on the chair and not fall over.

Mr. Datura knocked on the window.