Chapter 01

"Master!" I called out, the snowy winds blowing through the hair that was tied at the nape of my neck. I watched as the Twilek woman who had been my master and mother figure since I became a Padawan four years ago had ran into a lost battle, getting shot down by dozens of droids just to give us time to escape and get to safety.

We had been sent on a peaceful mission to recruit another planetary system for the republic senate. What we didn't know was that the planet was already controlled by the separatists and that we were walking into a trap. We had fought in the battle valiantly, but it was a lost cause from the start, we were outnumbered and we needed a distraction so that we could escape back to Coruscant and regroup after our heavy loss of troopers.

"Commander Jayko?" One of my troopers questioned from behind as my Masters body fell to the ground a few meters away from me.

"Let's go boys!" I shook away my thoughts and focused on escaping with the rest of the survivors, knowing that my master was gone and there was nothing I could do to change the outcome. As we hopped onto the gunship I sat on the floor, crossing my legs and closing my eyes to meditate, trying to hold my composure over the losses we faced. I could feel the brown eyes of the clones staring at me as the ship rattled with gun fire, lifting off the surface of the planet and escaping towards our Jedi cruiser up above. Soon the eyes drifted away and I was left to my peaceful meditation to focus on my loss and keeping my wave of emotions at bay.

"Commander, we have arrived" my captain reported as our gunship landed on the republic cruiser. I stood with a stern nod, careful not to show the emotion rattling my mind, Jedi being forbidden from having attachments. I made my way towards the bridge to find the admiral, the blue lights of hyperspace blaring past us as we returned to the home of the Republic.

"The Jedi council has requested you" the admiral guided me to the comm system once I had reached the bridge.

"Master Yoda, Master Windu, Master Plo Koon." I nodded in greeting, finding the Jedi masters waiting on holocoms for my report. "I regret to inform you that Master Nadir had been killed in action on our last mission" I reported to the council before me in hologram form, face still stern and blank from any emotion though my hands which I gripped my robes with were still shaking from the battle.

"That's the price of war, Lyra" Windu reminded in a cold tone, making me furrow my eyebrows in hurt, not understanding how they could move on and be so cold over a person dying, a good person dying for a good cause.

"Get some rest, Lyra, you will be assigned to a new Master soon and report immediately to the temple once you return to Coruscant." Plo Koon told me in a warmer tone, one that made me think that he would be smiling for comfort if he could. I gave them a sad smile with a nod before leaving them to their decisions on my new Master.

The cold grey hallways were uninviting as I made my way from the bridge towards my quarters. Once the door sealed shut behind me I let out a breath, shaky hands rubbing at my eyes. I carefully sat on my bunk, tucking my feet up and resting my hands on my knees.

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

I began meditating, attempting to clear my mind from the bloody horrors of the battlefield that I had wittinesses only moments ago on that slowly planet below.

~~~

"Padawan Lyra, you are requested by the Jedi council" a clone trooper informed me upon our arrival at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Home, sweet home.

"Thank you, sir" I nodded to him, stepping off of the gunship that had brought us to the surface. I adjusted my beige robes, trying to look professional before heading towards the Temple Council Room. Reaching the room the door slid open, allowing me inside to greet the Master Jedi. "Oh" I spotted a young Togruta girl already standing before the council. I had recognized the girl from around the temple, but never really spoke with her as she was still in youngling training and I was a Padawan.