Chapter 3

Sleek expensive cars lined the parking lot. Each student being dropped off by their driver or parents. The entire place screamed wealth and that made her slightly uncomfortable.

"How do you feel?" Her uncle asked.

"I don't know how to feel. What if they don't like me? What if they don't accept me?"

"Calm down, Smally." He held her hand. "Of course they'll like you. And if they don't, just know; you're unique. Very unique. And that's what matters."

His words warmed her heart and melted some of her worries. "Thank you. You're the best.

"It's nothing, Smally."

"I'm not that small, you know."

He grinned."You'll always be small to me."

"I should get going."

"Yep. I'll see you later, Smally. Anderson will be here to pick you up in the afternoon."

"Alright. Bye." She said, stepping out of the car.

"Bye." And with that, he reversed the car and drove out of the parking lot.

The cars parked around the parking lot had reduced, the last of the students trickling into the school building. People stared at her, some laughed and some looked unfazed.

Schooling her features into an uninterested mask, she padded up the stairs leading into the school.

The walls of the school were painted a deep grey, with flowers planted in every corner. As she walked on, she noticed the offices as she passed them. The teachers lounge stretched on like a hall with chairs dotting the area.

Someone shoved her and she placed her arms on the wall to steady herself.

The girl sneered at her.

"Watch where you're going, albino."

"I -I'm sorry,"

"You better be." And with that, she walked off.

Finally finding the door she'd been looking for using the school map, she stopped. Hesitating, she wondered what lay behind the doors.

They don't bite you know that, right? A sassy part of her snickered.

The brown oak door was shut and voices could be heard from within. The noise rose up to unbelievable decibels as girls screamed with pitches she couldn't decipher and boys ranted on about their holiday activities.

She stood there, shuffling her feet. People around her gave her weird looks and she forced herself to look unfazed.

You'll have to open the door, sooner or later.

With a sigh, she gripped the cold metal of the door. You're unique, her uncle's words came to mind.

I don't care what they think about me.

And with that she pushed the door open.

Over a dozen pair of eyes turned to stare at the person at the door, their noise dying down. They stared, unabashedly, as she made her way towards the empty seats in the back.

Dropping her bags onto the floor loudly, as if to snap them back to reality. She dropped her head on the table, careful not to break her glasses, as she waited for them to resume their conversations.