chapter six

The atmosphere in the breakfast table was peaceful unlike the other time in the gadodia house.
" So now I know why yesterday all of sudden ragini's favourite dishes were asked?" Sharmistha says, her voice taking on a teasing tone. Ragini shifted nervously in her chair and her cheeks had reddened. Nikhil was enjoying the teasing, he looked least embarassed by Sharmishta's words.
" But dammaji, you should have not done. Men are not supposed to work in kitchen" Parvati says to him. Nikhil bites back his witty comments and nods his head acting to agree to her. He knows the narrow mindness of ragini's family and he also knows changing them would be impossible so he saved himself from a argument.
" Maa is right" shekhar tells, swara rolls her eyes at her father's narrow mindness but Ragini was not even surprised with her family's words and felt bad for Nikhil who did this so much but instead of getting appreciation he was getting advice about misogynist truth of the society.
"See didn't I say to you that my family will never understand or appreciate your gesture" Ragini whispers to Nikhil.
Ragini expected Nikhil to agree with her and rant about her family but she did not expect his next question.
" Did you like it?" He asks her softly.
" Huh!" Ragini looked at him in disbelief with his sudden question.
" Did you like the food I prepared for you?" He expands his sentence this time.
" Yeah off course" she says instantly," I loved everything especially the hot chocolate"
" Well then I think my gesture has paid off, I prepared this for my wife. If she is appreciative of my gesture that's more than enough for me"  breathes Nikhil, his lips twisting into a smile. Ragini looks at him quietly and eats her food with a small smile on her face. She could not correctly express her overwhelmed feelings through her words, and she had never been the centre of romantic gestures or any great gestures before but this felt so good, her heart fluttered with unknown emotions for the first time since she had been with him.
Swara had started conversating with Nikhil mostly teasing him and dragging Ragini in the conversation. The breakfast ended in a good note and swara slipped Ragini and her into their room alone. Nikhil noticed it but did not say anything and continues his conversation with shekhar.

" Thank god we escaped, now tell me everything ragini" swara demands in her serious voice as they stood facing each other.
" I don't understand how can you think that you would be troubling by asking my help" swara whines " I could not let dadi to forcefully marry you off"
" Swara you were already dealing with kavya, I did not want to add to your troubles and plus everything is alright now" Ragini responds to her trying to sound convincing.
" But Ragini..."
" And how many marriage proposals could have you stopped anyway, if you had stopped this marriage also you know dadi could have found another proposal?!" Ragini cuts off swara," I'm damn sure she would not let me spend my rest of my life alone"
Swara nods understanding ragini's words too.
" Are you happy with this marriage?" Swara asks after a moment.
Ragini shakes her head," laksh's betrayal is still fresh to be healed so soon but I'm not unhappy as I thought I would be. Nikhil is a very understanding partner, it's other thing I'm still confused why he married me when he had better options?"
This was something which baffled swara also but she kept quiet not wanting to add more to ragini's confusion.
" You're thinking too much, let things be"
Ragini nods at her words," I'm doing the same"
Before swara could ask her more, the knock on their door disturbed their conversation. Ragini opens the door to find Nikhil standing out," I hope I'm not interrupting you but your dadi was so tensed and kept looking at your room's direction and if I would have not come she would have"
" No, it's okay" Ragini says and lets Nikhil inside her room. Swara became little sad that she could not talk more to ragini about her situation but she was relieved that ragini's situation was not bad. Infact Nikhil treats her well, inspite of being a famous personality he doesn't have any bit of ego in him.
" Swara, I forgot to mention earlier. My lawyer had called, he would be coming today to prepare you guys for the court trial" Nikhil Says abruptly. " If you can get me your number, I would forward it to the lawyer so that he contacts you directly and please save his number in your phone too"
Swara forwards her number and saves the lawyer's number in her phone too.
" Thank you for everything you did yesterday for us" swara says looking at him gratefully.
" I don't want to lie swara, I did that for ragini. There are very few things in my life which I would not do for her" Nikhil says looking at his wife who was staring at the floor avoiding his eye contact.
Swara blinks in suprise at his words but anyway nods at his words before leaving the place.
As soon as swara leaves, Ragini gets tensed up. She looks at the bed and remembered the morning incident. It had completely left her mind that she had to ask Nikhil about the night.
" Ragini, do you want to stay back here for somedays?" Nikhil asks her. Ragini looks confused at his question.
" You know you're sister has just came out of jail, if you want to stay here to comfort her. I don't have any problems you know" he says to her further.
" No, I don't want to stay" Ragini answers without even thinking for a moment. She could have stayed with swara but she was not ready to face laksh right now and she did not want to complicate things. Staying away from the Maheshwaris was the best thing for now.
" Then I think we should get going, I will tell the driver to get the car" Nikhil turns to go when ragini stopped him.
" Actually I have been waiting to ask you from the morning" she pauses and looks at him, he was staring at her intently Ragini continues gulping down her nervousness," did I just roll over your side at night?! If I did I'm really sorry. I have this habit of doing it"
Nikhil looks at her mildly amused, he shrugs, " it's okay and it's a good habit. You know" she smiled nervously at his flirty tone.
" I will just inform everyone we are leaving" Ragini fumbled with her words and rushed out of the room. Nikhil shakes his head smiling at her sudden nervousness but also hoping that she stops being nervous with him. He phones his driver to get the car and informs his body guards to come sensing that he would need them incase anyone recognizes him.