Chapter 4: A Long Talk

"I, I wanted to ask you about, your, your brother, Jesse." She said blushing a light pink at his name.

"Okay," I smiled egging her on.

"I might have a little crush on him." She blushed a fierce red now, as red as her hair.

"You think?" I laughed. She gave me a look at made me stop. "You really do like him." I raised my eyebrows.

"I don't know, he's just," She sighed. "I don't know."

"Aw Kirsty, do you want me to ask him if he likes you?" I pouted to make her smile, it worked.

"No, I want to know is if, is he dating anyone?" She final got out. I bit my lip to stop from grinning.

"I don't know." I said with a straight face. She punched my arm.

"Come on Patty, is he?"

"Not that I know of." She broke out into a grin. "Now what's your second question?" I asked going into a stall.

"Well you got puppies right?" She asked. I nodded. "I wanted to know if maybe I could have one?" She asked begging me with her eyes.

"Sure. How about you and Amber, and if Nick and Taylor want to come, come over after school to my house to look at the Puppies." She nodded and smiled as we left the bathroom. "You know Jesse will be there." She gave me a look as we walked over to our table.

"Hello girls thought we would have to send Amber and Mir after you." Nick smiled.

"We were just talking, and before you ask, we aren't telling." Kirsty laughed. We sat down were we left our food.

"So the puppies..." Amber started. I looked at her.

"What about them?" I asked.

"Well I just wanted to know basic things." She shrugged.

"Well there are 2 boys and a girl. The boys are bigger, the girl smaller. My Dad told my uncle that his buddy's dog had puppies and they took them from the mom when they could." I smiled.

"Okay." Nick nodded.

"You guys can come and see them after school if you guys want." I said taking a sip of my drink.

"That would be cool." Amber squealed. Taylor laughed shaking his head at her. She looked at him. "Are you going to come?"

"I can't baby. I got to go to the recruiter today, remember me and Nick are going." Taylor said kissing her head. Ambers face dropped.

"Yeah, right, sorry forgot." Jesse looked at me. I shrugged. Cooper sat there watching me.

"Sorry baby, what about after the meeting I come over?" Taylor said pulling her face to his.

"Okay." Amber sighed.

"Love you." He kissed her.

"Love you too."

A breeze brews though the café causing me to shiver. Cooper unzipped his hoodie and wrapped the hoodie around my shoulders. I smiled and blushed at Cooper as he smiled at me. I looked over at Kirsty to see her doing the same thing. Hmmm maybe Jesse likes her too..............

............After school Amber, Kristy and I went to my house to see the puppies. "You guess want anything to drink or eat?" I asked after awhile of playing with the puppies and Levi.

"Yeah, I could." Amber nodded getting up and rubbing the hay off her pants.

"Me too." Kirsty did doing the same thing, brushing the hay off her jeans and walking with me to my house. I walked into the frig and grabbed the tea kettle to make hot chocolate.

"Hey can I talk to you?" Amber asked.

"Sure Amber. What's wrong?" I ask.

"It's about Taylor." Kirsty looked at me then Amber.

"What about him?" I asked.

"He wants to join the Army and I just...... I don't know if I can do it." Amber asked jumping up on the counter.

"Oh Amber. It will be okay." I sighed. She looked over at me.

"How do you know? What if he doesn't come back?" She said her eyes filling with tears.

"Answer this. Do you love him?" I asked giving her cup of hot coco.

"Of course I love him." She sniffled.

"Do you want him to follow what he dreams of doing?"

"Yes, of course." She nodded. I gave her a hug.

"Then you will get through this Amber. Love can fuel anything. Even a Military relationship." Kirsty sat there listening, as Amber hugged me back. "I will always be on the other end of a phone, and I'm sure Kirsty will too. Even Miranda will be. Friends are the best, they get you though anything." I smiled. Amber's jaw wobbled as tears slipped out of her eyes.

"Thank you Grace, thank you so much." She sighed rubbing her eyes. She started to laugh as her hands were black. "Got any make-up remover?" She smiled.

"Yet, go to my room, in my bathroom in the first sink draw." I nodded as she jumped down and walked back inside. Kirsty looked at me.

"What would you say if it was me that asked that?" She asked.

"The same, why?" I asked.

"Well I kind of have a date with your brother tonight." She said really fast. I looked at her for a minute.

"You, have a date with, my brother." She nodded. "That's great." I smiled. "I was starting to think he was gay!" I laughed. Kirsty smiled.

"You actually don't care that I'm going on a date?" I shook my head. "Cool." She smiled. I pulled Cooper's hoodie tighter around me.

"Hey Girlies." A voice called from the front door.

"In here Jesse!" I called back. Jesse walked through the door.

"Hey Gracie, Hey Kirsty." He smiled at her. I rolled my eyes as he smiled. "Isn't that Coops hoodie?" He asked grabbing an apple.

"It is. I got cold and he gave it to me." I shrugged. I grabbed an apple and walked to my room. Amber sat on my bed when I walked in. She was looking at a picture of Connor, Jesse, and me.

"How do you do it Patty?" She asked.

"I don't know Amber, I really don't know." I sighed. I hugged her gently. A knock on the room split us up.

"Amber, Taylor is here to take you out. He dropped Nick at Miranda's house." Jesse stood there. Amber nodded and squeezed me one last time.

"See you soon?" She asked.

"Yeah." I smiled. She walked out as I sat on my bed.

"Hey what's wrong Race?" Jesse asked. I looked at him.

"I'm the 7th wheel. Everyone is dating. Not me." I sighed. He sat next to me on the bed and rubbed my shoulders.

"There still is Cooper. You know I think he has something for you." He smiled. I shrugged.

"When you going on your date?" I sighed. He chuckled.

"Now. Love you." He smiled, getting up and walking away.

"Love you too." I grumbled. Kirsty popped her head in my room while I lay on my bed with Levi, as I rubbed his belly as he slept.

"Are you going to be okay?" She asked.

"Yup, have fun." I smiled. She smiled back at me.

"I will." She said leaving the house. I looked at Levi as he looked at me, not sleeping anymore.

"It's just me and you baby." He barked causing me to laugh....