Chapter 41: Thank You

As we were at a stop light I saw this store. “Grammy pull over.” I said opening my door. She pulled over looking at me.

  “What is it Grace?” She asked me. I pointed to a store. It was a homemade dress store.

 “Can we try please Grammy?” I asked. She sighed and pulled the keys out. I opened the door and held Logan as I walked in. The young lady sitting looked up at me and smiled.

 “What can I do for you Sweetie?” She asked.

 “I’m actually looking for a wedding dress. I know I’m a bad person but my wedding is in about a day and a half.” The lady stood up looked at me.

 “What size sweetheart?” I told her my size and she smiled and went to the back of the store. Kirsty was looking at all the dresses in amazement.

 “These are amazing.” She said as the Lady came back holding some dresses. “Did you make these?” She asked.

 “Yes, when I was pregnant with my first son my husband was a way, and I was bed rest so it was a good way to get money.” She said. I walked into the dressing room with the first dress.

 “If you don’t mind me asking, but what does your husband do?” She asked shifting Logan.

 “It’s okay he is in the Air Force.” I walk out and smiled.

 “An Airman.” I smiled. “Military wife.” I nodded. She looked at me. “I’m marrying into the Corps, but my dad is a Marine also.”

 “Hmmm Marines…… I think I have the perfect dress for you.” She walked behind her desk and pulled out a dress bag. “Now this dress is special. One of my husband’s friends, his plane got shot down when his wife was pregnant with their baby. She had his daughter the day he died. Now if their lives couldn’t get any worse when she was 6 she got cancer. All the Air Force wives came together and had a fund raiser and we got her her treatment. Now we auctioned off this dress and the girl won it, but she gave it to me to give to another little girl who would want it.” She pulled out the most perfect dress in the world. It was embroider over it. It had a marine blue sash around the waist with some beads on it. I already had tears running down my face from before but now they wouldn’t stop. She took a deep breath to keep from crying. I put my hand over hers and squeezed. “I’m sorry.” She said wiping a traitor tear from her cheek.

 “No don’t worry, please don’t worry.” I smiled wiping the tears. “These things are hard to talk about.” She rubbed my cheek.

 “You are a perfect girl. Now go try it on sweetie.” I walked into the dressing room and gently put on the dress. I gasped as I looked at myself in the mirror. The dress was perfect. It fit all of my curves. I had had the felling of butterflies in my stomach.

 “This is it.” I whispered. I walked out into the main room to gasps.

 “You look so beautiful Munchkin.” Grammy smiled with tears running down her face.

 “That’s the one Grace. You will knock Cooper right out of his blues.” She giggled.

 “I have to agree, perfect.” She smiled. I looked at myself and smiled.

 “You guys are right. It’s perfect. Thank you.” I smiled at the lady. I looked at Kirsty “Now we just have to get you a bride’s maid dress.”  The lady looked at me.

 “I have the perfect dress for you sweetheart.” She ran off as I went to change into my shorts and shirt. She came back with another marine blue dress. Kirsty gasped and handed Logan to me. She walked into the dressing room to out the dress on. She walked out.

 “Kirsty you look amazing.” I smiled as she looked at herself. Grammy looked at the two of us and burst into tears. “Grammy what’s wrong?” I asked putting Logan back in his car seat before walking over and hugging her.

 “My baby is growing up to fast. Both of you. You are both getting married and Jesse has a baby. Oh I am just remembering when you were a about 2 ½ you would sneak into your our bed when you couldn’t sleep and sleep like a cat curled up on your grandpa. Then I remember after that bitch left you would sleep with your daddy because you were scared of the dark. Now look at you. A marines soon to be wife.” She gushed squeezing me tight. “I don’t want you to grow up, not at all.” She sighed wiping her eyes.

 “I’m always going to be your little girl Grammy. I will just be Mrs. Grace Banks from now on. I’m still munchkin to Poppy, Connor, and you. Just a married version. I love you.” I smiled kissing her cheek.

 “I love you too.” I pulled out of the hug and looked at the lady.

 “We will take both.” I smiled wiping my tears.

 “Perfect, I also 3 more of the dress she has on.” She pointed to Kirsty.

 “Perfect, you think when my other brides maids come they can try on the dresses?” I asked her paying of mine and Kirsty’s dress.

 “Of course. Also if you ever need to talk, here is my number.” She handed me her number with her name on it. Lonnie.

 “Thank you.” I smiled at her. “You can call when ever.” I said handed her my number.

 “Thank you.” She whispered. “Thank you so much.” We walked out of the store and back to the car. I looked at the store across the street and smiled. Perfect. I looked both ways before running to the store and making an appointment. It was something I always wanted to do so I had it for my bridal shower before running into the car and buckling up. Grammy shook her head and smiled at me.

 “You’re crazy to be going into that now.” Kirsty giggled……