Chapter one

One year later

One year later

I stepped into my house, my black handbag in one hand and keys as well as my phone in the other. I could hear the TV from the door, followed by laughter.

I took off my shoes before making my way to the living room. A smile tugged my lips at the sight of Olessia with my little girl.

"Mommy!" She squealed at the sight of me and rushed around the couch to reach me.

"Hey, fiore," I grabbed her in my hands before hugging her close to me. She was the ray of sunshine I found in my life after leaving my past behind. I put her down and squatted down to be at eye level with her. "Did you have fun with Aunty Olessia?" She smiled and nodded as her hands played with my long brown hair.

"She's a delight, as always," I smiled at my best friend as I rose to my feet and took my daughter's hand in mine. "I ordered some pizza, I hope you don't mind," I shook my head as we entered the small kitchen of my small two-story house, which I'd bought almost three years ago. It had three bedrooms upstairs, one of which was mine and the other was Evara's. The third one I had turned into a small home office which I used when I didn't feel like going out to the Matrix's corporate offices.

I picked up my daughter before setting her on the kitchen island and opened one of the pizza boxes. Evara's eyes lit up as she gently clapped her tiny hands, making me smile.

"Nate is coming over soon," Olessia said as she sat close by on one of the high chairs. I grabbed a knife as my friend looked after Evara on the counter and cut a smaller piece for her to enjoy. "He sounded quite distressed for whatever reason," I glanced at Olessia who watched my daughter with a smile.

"Perhaps it's something with Matrix?" She shrugged before grabbing a slice of pepperoni pizza for herself. Nate began to focus on his business more than he had three years ago after he started to teach. He only had a few postgraduate classes a week and was primarily occupied in his office at the Matrix.

He not only stepped down due to his lack of time with his wife, Amelia, but he also wanted to help me as much as possible after I gave birth to my daughter. It was safe to say that the little girl had the best uncles, aunts, and a very loving and generous grandmother, Natalia. The latter was particularly ecstatic as Amelia was pregnant with her and Nate's little one.

"He's been away in his mind a lot over the past few days," Olessia added. "I've seen him a few times as I was babysitting here, and as much as he was delighted to see Eva, he seemed lost in some thought. I have no clue what is burdening him. I even asked Amelia. She's just as clueless."

"Strange," I said, knowing that Nathanial would tell at least one of us about whatever was burdening him. I caressed my daughter's short and light brown hair as she munched on her small piece of pizza. My heart warmed at the sight of her happy and healthy. It was all I ever wanted after the horror that was her delivery.