Chapter seventeen

"He's threatening you to take Allegra?" Matt asked as we sat in my office back at the estate

"He's threatening you to take Allegra?" Matt asked as we sat in my office back at the estate. Gio had time to change into more comfortable clothes after we came back here, but the conversation I had with Bráulio was still heavy on my mind.

"I suppose," I said. "He wants me to give Matias to him."

"Do it," Gio said as he ran a hand through his wet hair and sat down on the other armchair. I crossed my arms over my chest while I leaned back in the chair. "What?" He asked, confused as he looked between Matt and me.

"You sure don't seem to approve of the man ever since he arrived here," Matt said, making Gio roll his eyes.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just think she could do much better, and judging the fact that he is a part of those pieces of shit, it doesn't seem right," he replied, his words stirring a sense of uncertainty within me. I couldn't help but notice that Gio had taken a keen interest in Vittoria ever since she returned with her fiancé by her side. I couldn't deny that they were once close, but his entire demeanour seemed to undergo a profound shift after it happened.

"I hope you know that I would never allow you to be with Vic," I said, taking him aback, and making Mattia look at me with his brows inched together. "Not unless you proved that you were worth her," I added.

"Shut the hell up," Mattia remarked as his gaze moved onto our friend who shot daggers right at me with his eyes.

"What? I'm the annoying older brother and I happen to care about her," he scoffed.

"Yet you let her marry Matias? The guy who is nothing but a fucking act?"

"I didn't say anything because I trust her judgement. She has never once shown interest in you, therefore, I have nothing to worry about. If she thinks that Matias is the one for her, so be it. But you, my friend, would have to bring the damn world right before her just so I wouldn't kill you for liking her."

"All because I'm what? That I'm not responsible enough?" I was surprised that he wasn't denying his attraction to her or rather it was the lack of care on his behalf on the subject that confused me.

"Because you care about temporary relief, Gio. And yes, I do think there's a long way to go before you become responsible," I added.

"Yeah, because you are the most responsible out of all of us," he chuckled. "You got so whipped by one woman that you couldn't even stay true to yourself and finish what you started with your father," I rolled my eyes.

"You have no clue what you are talking about," Gio sighed as Mattia watched this all unfold. "I, for one, was in love. You, on the other hand, care about clubbing and fucking whoever looks your way. That is why I do not think you are fit for Vittoria," he scoffed before standing up and pointing a finger at me.

"You are not the one to speak, Nicolas."

"Fine, call Vic into this room right now and I'll see for myself if she is into you," he began shaking his head.