Chapter twenty-five

"How come she didn't tell us you were Nicolas's girlfriend?" Carla asked me as we watched the sunset from the porch of our villa

"It's not what I base my life around," I said before taking a bite of a vanilla pie Vittoria had ordered earlier. It wasn't overly sweet but I liked the scoop of ice cream beside it, which made it much better to enjoy.

"I know, but it's one of the more interesting pieces of information. And I'm talking more about Nicolas. He never likes any of the women he's with." I smiled as I took another bite. "Is he really as cold as he makes everyone believe?" I shook my head as I looked up from my plate and watched the glowing sun.

"He isn't. Just don't tell him I told you that," I glanced at her and saw a slight smile appear on her face. Serena was swimming in the pool with Verona while Vittoria was inside, talking on the phone to someone.

"Does he have any friends that are hot?" Serena asked, making me smile.

"None that aren't taken," Verona said before meeting my eyes. "Although Gio is free, right?" I shrugged, keeping my knowledge of his feelings to myself. "He's a good-looking guy but he isn't that fond of commitment."

I wondered if that was due to his attraction to Vittoria. Perhaps he genuinely experienced apprehension when it came to entering into a relationship. I could empathize with his situation, as I had once been in a similar position with Nicolas, just from a different perspective. However, deep down, I held onto the hope that he would eventually discover someone who brought him genuine happiness. If that person happened to be Vic, it would make me absolutely delighted.

"I just think I shouldn't bother with any mafia men. I mean if I had to, then I would choose Nicolas but he's married," Serena said as she swam on her back.

I smiled as I remembered the way I pulled Nicolas into the pool. It made me happy to know I could experience these innocent moments with him even if things were different between us.

"The real question is if he would even entertain the idea," Verona said, glancing at me as Serena looked at her with her brows pinched together. "He's never been in love apart from once and after they ended, he lost himself. I doubt he'll want anyone that is not her," I felt something warm hit my chest.

"Who? Brielle?" She looked my way. "What did you do to capture his attention so much?" I shrugged as I took another bite of my pie. "Come on, how did you meet him? It's not like you met him through some dating app."

"I did not. We met at a club once," I said, skipping most of the details. It wasn't that I didn't trust the girls around me but rather that Serena seemed far too immersed in my personal life that it became slightly concerning. Every lunch we had together, she managed to bring up Nicolas. Even if it didn't correlate with me straightforwardly, she didn't hold back her admiration for my man.

I guess it wasn't very ideal to hear someone lusting over the man I loved and was involved with right in front of me.

"That's it?" She seemed surprised.