Chapter seven

Minutes before

Minutes before

I sat in my office, slowly sipping on my whiskey and staring through the window. I was patiently waiting for Nate to grace me with his presence and finally aid me with business.

Just as I thought of the man, my phone started to ring on the desk. I turned to grab it and was surprised to see Nate's name pop up.

"Hey-"

"Nico, I want you to listen to me," he interrupted me, making me frown.

"Did you kill someone?" I asked. "I thought you were on a plane? How come it is so quiet back there?"

"I'm in your driveway," I placed the tumbler on the desk and stood up. "Before you do anything, I hope you understand why I did what I did," I frowned.

"What are you talking about? Did you actually kill someone?"

"I'll just ask you once, did you or did you not barge into Brielle's house a few days ago?" I hoped he hadn't found out about that. I thought that she wasn't sober enough to distinguish real life from her fantasies and apparently, still wanted me. I hated myself for going through with it but she looked so damned beautiful. I wouldn't have slept with her, but I wanted to touch her. To feel her alive and well.

"Nathanial-"

"Did you do it?"

"Yes. I might have paid a visit, but I really didn't think she would notice me-"

"She knew?" Nate interrupted again. I got confused again as I thought she was the one to tell him about me. But apparently, I underestimated Nate's involvement in her current life.

"How did you find out?"

"You left the door unlocked, moron. And no one would've been able to leave let alone enter the premises without authorisation. I figured you had ways around it," I inhaled deeply before downing the rest of the whiskey.

I did indeed have ways. And I was surprised to find out she lived in a well-secured and gated community. Although, given the circumstances, I understood her choice. But I always found ways to go around the system and my authority had much to do with it.

"Why aren't you inside?" I asked.

"I didn't come alone," he said, making my stomach turn. I knew then and there that Brielle was under my fucking roof with me. "Before you start cussing me out, she came because of Vittoria. But I do think it'd be nice for the two of you-"

"Shove that up your ass, Nate. You lie to me about the one person I wasn't even remotely ready to see and you parade her right in front of me?" I chuckled as I began to make my way towards the door.

"Yet you broke into her fucking house despite being not ready?" He asked as I opened the door to head out. "Stay in the room, for fuck's sake."