Chapter thirteen

It was a beautiful morning despite the hell of a night before

It was a beautiful morning despite the hell of a night before. I walked around the rose garden that hadn't fully bloomed even though three years ago they had even a month prior to May.

I liked the tranquillity that the garden brought and especially after the argument I had with Nicolas, I had to get all of the relief possible.

After it all occurred, I came back to the party but didn't feel well in the slightest. It seemed as though I felt nauseous and dizzy but remained in the room full of people until I left about an hour later. Nate had seen me disappear before the argument happened yet I hadn't spoken to him since. And Verona was extremely nice to be my company after I came back into the show that was the ball.

I couldn't understand much that was happening regardless, so having someone who was more interested in speaking to me about life and other fun topics, was really refreshing.

I passed the many corners as I made my way towards the middle. Ever since I was last here, I didn't get to quite see the entirety of the maze until today. I sucked in an unexpected breath once I reached what seemed like the middle of the maze and noticed a massive fountain made up of three tiers in the middle, and made out of, what looked like, black stone, as well as had a bouquet of flowers made of stone in the very top. Water flowed down the levels as it reached the small reservoir of water on the ground. It was clear as day and once I stepped even closer, I noticed many rocks on the very bottom of the base.

I didn't remember hearing this calming flow of water the last time I was here yet I couldn't entirely trust my memory on behalf of that.

As I sat down on the edge of the fountain, I breathed in the fresh and humid air surrounding me. Since the weather had become much warmer, I opted for a pair of light blue jeans, a white dress shirt, whose sleeves I rolled up to my elbows, and a pair of white sneakers. I straightened my hair earlier this morning and despite feeling an obligation to remove the necklace I had worn the day before, I couldn't take off something that was pretty much the only sentiment of my daughter while I was miles upon miles away from her.

I did, however, decide to top the look off with a pair of golden earrings that had been left for me by my late mother.

I couldn't refrain from imagining how happy Evara would be if she was here right now. Yes, I did think about how happy it would make her to be with her father, whom she would have all the time in the world to get to know, but at the same time, I knew how much she liked the outdoors. It would be difficult to keep her away from such a fountain.

I know I had promised Nate that I would finally tell Nico the truth but as he began to talk and interrupt me right before I explained everything, I understood that yesterday wasn't the day for this conversation. To be frank, I didn't know if there would ever be a moment for such a conversation.

All we seemed to do was fight and bicker once we were left alone. And that damned kitchen would be the death of us one day. Every single argument seemed to come completely out of line only in that space.